Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:13:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake Servo Adjustment  (Read 2504 times)
Beckerman67

« on: 03 December, 2021, 08:23:09 AM »

I have a 1972 Fulvia 1.3S S2. The car has had a history of binding front brakes. I have recently had new front discs and pads fitted. The old ones had become so hot over the years that the discs had turned blue, the pads had cracked and the rubber bleed nipple dust covers melted.
 I am about to change the brake servo, however, I cannot find the gap specification between the servo pushrod end and the primary piston in the master cylinder. Can anybody help? It seems probable that this has been the cause of the overheating brakes due to the pushrod having a negative clearance and constantly engaging the primary piston.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 03 December, 2021, 11:53:51 AM »

According to the drawing in the concise manual the domed nut that pushes the master cylinder piston should be flush with the front face of the servo.

I have suggested in the past that if the brakes bind like you have indicated then undoing the master cylinder a bit an packing with washers to see if the servo is at fault.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 03 December, 2021, 07:53:43 PM »

Unlikely that the problem is in the servo, more likely there is a problem with the master cylinder, Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 04 December, 2021, 06:21:29 PM »

It is simple to check if the servo is responsible for the symptom. Its hose from the intake manifold can be disconnected and carefully plugged so that the engine can run OK.  If the symptom persists, then it is not a fault of the servo, Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 04 December, 2021, 08:04:37 PM »

I agree with your diagnosis and have posted on this before.  Not sure of the exact dimension you seek though, I just used trial and error!

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 05 December, 2021, 07:33:00 AM »

If the pushrod is too long, it is unnecessary to replace the servo: it would be enough to adjust its length as suggested earlier. To actually produce brake binding and overheating of the discs, it must be off for quite a length and presumably affect all 4 wheels. Advisable to check that the hub overheating has not damaged the wheel bearings, Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 08 December, 2021, 09:55:02 AM »

Really sorry Andrea, but I'm not following that logic.
 If the servo pushrod protrudes out too far from the mating surface with the master cylinder, as soon as you bolt the two together the pushrod will engage with the piston partially applying the brakes. This would be without any assistance from the servo vacuum and so disconnecting the vacuum hose would have no effect.

No, it is necessary to disconnect the brake pipe and release a little fluid.    I used to do this, the brakes started off fine but as soon as they got warm they started to bind.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd