Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:13:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Front Wheel Bearing  (Read 9041 times)
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #30 on: 01 November, 2021, 07:21:14 AM »

S1 and S2 inner CV joints of the Fulvia have different circlips. The simple way to remove the inner CV joint after dealing with its circlip is to use a small puller, Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
my69S1

« Reply #31 on: 06 November, 2021, 06:24:25 PM »

So I was away for a few days and got back to it today.  I couldn't budge the circlip on the inner joint so I wacked the outer joint while held in place in a vice as suggested.  Took a few wacks but I got it off.  I've removed the old boots and cleaned up the shaft.  When I put the boots back in place how much grease do I stuff in the joints behind the boot? 

I had to cut off the clamp on the lower boot.  It didn't have any way of loosening or tightening it.  Just one sold metal band.  Is it OK to use a worm type norma clamp as a replacement?  The norma clamps have a rounded edge so they don't bite into the rubber.  Or is this a no no?
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #32 on: 07 November, 2021, 07:10:21 AM »

You seem to have had an original boot given the solid band. You need to use specific CV boot bands as there is not any clearance to the bottom swivel joint. Never seen a "jubilee" type worm clip used. I pack the grease so that  it is flush and then  add a bit more. As previously mentioned by others it is important to release trapped air.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #33 on: 07 November, 2021, 11:00:47 PM »

And use moly grease of course.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
my69S1

« Reply #34 on: 10 November, 2021, 05:30:14 PM »

Thanks.  Picked up the correct CV joint grease and have the proper straps so time to put it all back together.
my69S1

« Reply #35 on: 07 December, 2021, 07:41:23 PM »

So its been awhile while I waited for parts.  All bushings have been replaced and everything is cleaned up, drive shaft is ready to go back in so before I get to that I need to install the new bearing.  Do I need to use a press to install the bearing or should I be able to tap it into place?  Should I put some grease around the bearing before installing it?   Thanks.

Almost forgot, should I install the wheel hub/disc brake before or after the bearing is in place, or does it not make a difference?
« Last Edit: 07 December, 2021, 08:26:00 PM by my69S1 » Logged
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #36 on: 08 December, 2021, 09:58:42 AM »

I think you will need a press.
Do not understand your last point, the bearing resides in the hub so must be fitted before you put the hub on the car insofar as I remember.   The drive shaft then slides in from behind  and then you connect up the bottom ball joint.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
my69S1

« Reply #37 on: 08 December, 2021, 04:32:13 PM »

I think you will need a press.
Do not understand your last point, the bearing resides in the hub so must be fitted before you put the hub on the car insofar as I remember.   The drive shaft then slides in from behind  and then you connect up the bottom ball joint.

I had to replace both the wheel hub and the bearing.  The hub and disc brake are on the outside of the upright (thing that the ball joints connect to) while the bearing is on the inside.  The opening in the upright allows the hub axle to extend back so the bearing is mounted around the hub axle.  I have both the wheel hub/disc brake (they are bolted to each other) off the car.  Since there is really nothing that attached the wheel hub to the upright, other than the drive shaft (which is also off the car) when it is all bolted together, I assume I install the bearing into the upright and then push the wheel hub axle into the bearing?  Not sure if I explained that well enough.  I can include a picture if that helps.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #38 on: 08 December, 2021, 05:16:30 PM »

If the upright is still on the car you need to push carefully the bearing fully into the housing then do up the retaining ring (very tight) and put the the wire circlip back. then you can carefully put your stub axle/disk into the centre of the bearing. It all does up tight with the driveshaft in place.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
my69S1

« Reply #39 on: 08 December, 2021, 05:50:11 PM »

If the upright is still on the car you need to push carefully the bearing fully into the housing then do up the retaining ring (very tight) and put the the wire circlip back. then you can carefully put your stub axle/disk into the centre of the bearing. It all does up tight with the driveshaft in place.

Perfect.  Thanks.
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #40 on: 09 December, 2021, 08:31:49 AM »

If you disconnect the track rod end, you can fully rotate the swivel (upright) and get better access to the hub, Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
my69S1

« Reply #41 on: 13 December, 2021, 09:49:53 PM »

Had to step away for a few days to take care of other business but got back to it this morning.  Wasn't looking forward to trying to get the bearing back in or the hub through the bearing as the tolerances are so tight.  A few days ago I tried pushing the bearing into the upright but it didn't move so I knew I would have to whack it in.  I ended up putting the bearing in the freezer and today I put a very thin film of grease on the bearing and the inside of the upright and it just slid into place.  I pushed it in with my fingers, fully seating it.  Then installed the retaining ring, torqued to 200 Nm, and put in the clip.  Since that worked so well I put the entire hub/disc into the freezer and left it for 3 hrs.  It didn't just slide in this time but 4 or 5 light taps  got it fully into place.  Thought I would share this as it worked so well. 

Installed the drive shaft, man what a messy job, and then screwed on the outer nuts.  No more movement of the hub now that everything is bolted up tight.  Also new A arm bushings and shocks.  Hope to take it out tomorrow to see how it performs and feels.  Thanks everyone for your continued assistance.  Could not have done this without the help of this great community.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd