Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 01:52:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fuel leak under coolant expansion tank  (Read 3441 times)
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« on: 30 August, 2021, 08:29:04 PM »

The fuel return and supply pipes that emerge from the car and curl round under the water expansion tank have sprung a leak.
Luckily I spotted it as I moved the car rather than once driving!
I seem to recall being a bit dubious about how tight they curled around from the connection under the tank around to where they enter the fuel filter pipe, and the one returning to the car connection that sits behind the manifold, always seemed to me to be a bit of an accident waiting to happen.
At this point I'm not sure if it's the rubber supply to the filter that's failed, or the return from the fuel rail as I haven't done more than put it back in the shed once I saw the leak, but I suspect the return pipe as it wasn't a high pressure flood like it would be on full supply pressure, but enough to be dangerous!

My question is, have any of yopu guys had similar issues, and what did you do to make a better repair rather than just replace with more rubber pipe. I had hoped to find a kit available that would replace the lot with braided hoses, surely there must be a better solution that have rubber pipe in such a tight space?

I'd rather fix it now and forever brather than fit another length of rubber pipe which will inevitably degrade..

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #1 on: 31 August, 2021, 01:24:17 AM »

No specific solution to this problem Kev but from experience don't be tempted to use anything with a steel overbraid on it as you can't see the hose deteriorating. Also be wary of eBay suppliers as some hoses on there aren't what they're cracked up to be! Known suppliers for this stuff, E10 safe and high pressure hose in these applications wold be my advice!
Guy
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 31 August, 2021, 06:56:06 AM »

I had to replace both mine recently. They had not cracked to the point of leaking but were extremely perished on the bend. As this was in France I went to my local hose supplier to get a new hose made. Something got lost in translation and  they did not but a new crimp on to the original tail (you must reuse as being Lancia the terminations at the rail are not easy to source), and now I have a nice jubelli clip….

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 31 August, 2021, 07:54:45 PM »

A good point about the steel overbraid, I had been looking at some motorsport spec stuff on Demon Tweeks website that is E10 resistant and over braided for protection against chafing, didn't occur to me that it would prevent you keeping an eye on things.
I'll take the bottle off next Saturday and have a look, see what size it is (8mm?) and how much length I need. Its an incredibly cramped area down there, wonder if hard pipe runs to somewhere more convenient would be a better solution?

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
Rob
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 01 September, 2021, 05:12:11 PM »

I replaced the fuel pipes on my HF turbo about 20 years ago & it was a right pain in the proverbial. I had to remove half the interior due to the pipes running under the carpet  Sad.

Rob MacFarlane

1988 Delta HF turbo ie
2000 Fiat Coupe 20v
1987 VW T25 Camper
A1.6HPE

« Reply #5 on: 08 September, 2021, 03:10:33 AM »

On my nephew's HF Turbo ie, the pipe burst as it passes through the bulkhead - as above, access is a total pain, especially on a right-hand-drive car. Splicing in an L shaped section of metal pipe worked well.

Leo

Edinburgh Regional Co-Ordinator
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 08 September, 2021, 10:13:34 PM »

Yes, I did consider that an elbow to bring the pipoe upwards without the tight turn might be a good idea.
I plan to have a better look on Saturday, mock some stuff up so I know what I need to buy.
There's some top quality pipe on Demon Tweeks website suitable for the task, has a liner within so it will withsatnd any level of Ethanol or even Methanol as it's motorsport specification pipe, but equally very expensive at around £20 a length....which I've yet to confirm if that's per Metre or hopefully not, per Foot!
So I want to be sure of what I need before placing an expensive order

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2021, 07:07:05 PM »

I've ordered 4M of this stuff from Merlin Motorsport, not cheap but seems the best available, E15 resistant so should be up to the job...

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/high-spec-rubber-fuel-hose-by-cohline-per-metre-2240-0600

I need to replace some on the Dedra too, hence the large quantity ordered. I'll also replace the sections from the pressure regulator back, as I say not cheap but cheaper than a fireball!

I'll let you know next weekend when I come to fit it...

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 20 September, 2021, 06:50:00 AM »

I paid about the same for some Codan high spec hose, but later found Gates hose of the same spec for quite a bit less on Ebay.

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 20 September, 2021, 09:37:28 PM »

Yes, the Codan stuff seems to be made for Mocal.
Gates do make some Ethanol resistant pipe called Barricade but it's siilarly priced..
The pipes that are on the car now are Gates pipes, beware of cheap pipe that isn't as per spec.

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd