Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 02:14:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrical Problems  (Read 8552 times)
harvir93

« on: 05 September, 2021, 05:06:30 PM »

Hi All, I am new to the forum and fulvia ownership. Since buying my car I have had a few gremlins which I have been resolving slowly but surely.
The latest however has stumped me...
I removed the battery overnight to charge it and when I put it in the next day the electrical systems of the car have completely stopped working!
I have 12V at the battery and to the starter motor, the car turns over no problem. I have no spark, no lights or anything else. I have checked the earth connection and that all appears to be ok. The fuses in the cabin are all intact. When I removed and reconnected the battery I did this in the correct order. I have a original manual which came with the car and I have been going through the electrical diagrams, I cannont spot anywhere in the circuit which could be the issue.
I would be grateful for your help and advice. Thanks. 
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 05 September, 2021, 09:22:58 PM »

At least you do not have to worry about electronics so it does not matter in which order you connect the terminals.   The fuse box is notorious for poor connections, many people solder the terminals for example.  Also the switches are very dodgy.   As a first trial, hot wire it by connecting the battery direct to the coil positive to see if that will give you a spark but a total lack of electrics suggests the main feed wire into the fuse box is where the problem lies.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
harvir93

« Reply #2 on: 05 September, 2021, 10:17:40 PM »

Thanks for the response David. I will check the main feed wire as you suggest. Are there any fuses in the engine bay… I was looking for anything next to the starter motor but couldn’t see anything.
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2021, 08:41:04 AM »

Certainly none in my car, only in the fuse box.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 09 September, 2021, 02:36:05 PM »

Thanks for the response David. I will check the main feed wire as you suggest. Are there any fuses in the engine bay… I was looking for anything next to the starter motor but couldn’t see anything.
S2 has a fuse for the electric fan but this would not cause your problems.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Jaydub
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 09 September, 2021, 06:58:35 PM »

The fact you can crank it suggests you have feed to the Fuse box- Fuse 7, which is the main input to the fuse box from the starter motor. Check there are 3 Red wires connected to the starter terminal where the Battery positive bolts on. Check the connector block on the back of the ignition switch. It should have Red, Blue/Black, Brown and a thin Black . Make sure they are all good and the connection is good because the Black wire feeds Fuse 8 for the lights and the Brown feeds Fuse 7 for Coil and Lights.

1600 HF. S2.
harvir93

« Reply #6 on: 09 September, 2021, 09:34:06 PM »

Thanks for all of your suggestions. The ignition circuit remains the only problem now. The dashboard isnt working either, including the indicators. I tried Davids trick of hot wiring the positive side of the coil which resolved the problem.
Based on this I think I have either a dodgey wire or connection. I was trying to find out what each fuse controls but failed to find anything online. My manuel is in italian so if it is in there I havent been able to work it out. Does anyone have a link to a post with this information? I will check the connections as you have suggested Jay. My car is a series 3 LHD.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 10 September, 2021, 05:28:45 AM »

You should equip your self with S2 manual and technical data on cd. These can be purchased on a commercial dutch website vivalancia.com.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
harvir93

« Reply #8 on: 12 September, 2021, 12:53:18 PM »

Again many thanks for all for your help… I’ve checked the various connections and cleaned up the main earth and connections to the starter motor. This hasn’t made a difference…
I’ve found if I turn the ignition on and short fuses 8 & 9 at in the fuse box the car turns on and I can then start it using the key.
Does this mean my ignition barrel has gone bad? Am I right in thinking by touching the two circuits together when the ignition switch is on I’m making the three circuits connect?
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 15 September, 2021, 11:18:35 AM »

Wiring diagrams for series 2 coupe and sport posted in technical information thread.

harvir93

« Reply #10 on: 20 September, 2021, 04:13:25 PM »

Hi all. Thought I would just give a quick update. In the end it was a faulty ignition switch. It coincided with me taking the battery out so this is why I thought it was an electrical issue.
I’m back to resolving the fuelling issue I’m having. The root cause I think is a very corroded fuel tank which has blocked up the fuel line. The car drives fit around 10 mins but the line between the two carbs runs dry and the engine stalls out. Anyone have a rough cost estimate for replacing the tank, sender, fuel line, filter and pump. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 20 September, 2021, 04:33:50 PM »

Hi all. Thought I would just give a quick update. In the end it was a faulty ignition switch. It coincided with me taking the battery out so this is why I thought it was an electrical issue.
I’m back to resolving the fuelling issue I’m having. The root cause I think is a very corroded fuel tank which has blocked up the fuel line. The car drives fit around 10 mins but the line between the two carbs runs dry and the engine stalls out. Anyone have a rough cost estimate for replacing the tank, sender, fuel line, filter and pump. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Try fitting a filter king unit, I had a similar problem years ago with my 2c Berlina, the filter king solved the problem, hopefully you'll be as lucky.
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 20 September, 2021, 04:35:14 PM »

if the tank is not perforated you could try applying a tank sealant after thorough cleaning and replacing the filters (including the tank filter gauze) might be a lot cheaper than a new tank. Clean the fuel lines and you might be able to get going again

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
harvir93

« Reply #13 on: 20 September, 2021, 08:22:27 PM »

That’s great advice Neil - I have had a quick look online and Por-15 fuel tank restoration kit seems to be the way to go. Let me know if you think otherwise. The tank doesn’t have any pin holes so this solution seems a good way to go for about a tenth of the price of a new tank.

Brian - thanks as well for the filter king suggestion. I noticed that it comes highly recommended on the forum. There seems to be two sizes 42 and 48mm diameter. Is there a particular one that fits the fulvia best.

I think I can blow the fuel lines out with compressed air to get rid of any junk in there.

neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 21 September, 2021, 08:04:11 AM »

I bought the 67mm Filter King, but I think that this measurement relates to the depth?

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd