Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 07:02:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rear brake limiter  (Read 2942 times)
simonpen

« on: 26 April, 2021, 05:51:44 PM »

My S1 Rallye S has a limiter valve for the rear brakes. Do these come apart for servicing? Mine appears not to let any fluid past it..

1969 Rallye 1.3S
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 26 April, 2021, 06:56:47 PM »

Dores it have a bleed nipple? Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
simonpen

« Reply #2 on: 26 April, 2021, 07:31:09 PM »

Yes

1969 Rallye 1.3S
simonpen

« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2021, 10:44:58 AM »

To answer my own question. I have now found a schematic in a manual, (this valve is also found on the GTE), which comes with overhaul instructions. It contains various rubber 'O' rings  and a ball bearing. A good internal clean is also required. Omicron may have the parts and do offer a rebuild service. 

1969 Rallye 1.3S
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2021, 04:21:28 PM »

Good to overhaul the limiter: I assume you could not bleed through its bleed nipple. However, please bear in mind that an important issue is to bleed the servo, not a very simple thing to do, Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
simonpen

« Reply #5 on: 27 April, 2021, 06:43:18 PM »

Andrea. We had been able to bleed using the nipple on the limiter and at one point had some rear braking. Later however while bleeding through the rear callipers we were unable to get any fluid out, although we had previously ejected a lot, along with some air. It was the sudden change that made me think that something had gone wrong with the limiter internals. As for the servo, the front brakes seem to be fine with an instant bite from the pedal. All this was done without the engine running.

1969 Rallye 1.3S
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2021, 07:16:41 AM »

A simple test would be to just slacken the outflow tube from the limiter to the rear brakes and see if there is any fluid coming out. Then one might try to see if doing the same to the inflow tube to the limiter, indicates that fluid is reaching the limiter OK. Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
simonpen

« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2021, 06:26:55 PM »

I have now rebuilt the limiter and have braking on all four wheels. The device itself did not look too bad disassembled, a bit of 'gunge' but other than that ok. Perhaps one of the seals was letting by. Anyway, a worthwhile exercise, should have done it when the engine was out.

1969 Rallye 1.3S
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd