Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 06:53:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Practical Classics March/April edition, Beta coupe, 5 page spread  (Read 4912 times)
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« on: 27 March, 2021, 04:08:55 PM »

Aussie import gets a fulsome going over

P

Frank Gallagher
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2021, 10:14:32 AM »

Has sparked some debate on the Betaboyz Forum around the references to the 'V4' engine. Spectacularly lazy journalism and disappointing from PC. The Club dated this car when it was imported and I thought we may have got a wave for that, but no....

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2021, 11:53:59 AM »

I've just seen the article. I'm struck by the caption "All original instrumentation" under a picture of a rack of completely non original auxiliary instruments. Given how comprehensive the standard instruments actually are the error is particularly ridiculous.
Michael Bedford

« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2021, 01:53:36 PM »

What is the general view about fitting a series 1 grille and headlamps to a series 2 model? The changes improve the look of the car at the expense of authenticity. Is that OK since even 'in period' an owner could have chosen to do that (if he wanted to make a later model look like an earlier model) or a step too far in a restoration? Is the answer that it is fine so long as it is done transparently? In any case, all credit to the owner for putting a Beta back together and back on the road.
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2021, 02:40:57 PM »

Hi Michael

Not sure which grills you are referring to as there were at least 3 used on the Beta Coupes?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Michael Bedford

« Reply #5 on: 28 March, 2021, 03:29:32 PM »

Peter,

I was going by the photos in the article (comparing as found and as restored), and the text quoting the owner/restorer which says "I decided to make the car a Series 1 lookalike. It wouldn't be too difficult with the grille being the only main difference. I like the twin headlamp look as well". The grille in the finished car is a bit hard to describe but you might say it is banded horizontal geometric louvres. It is certainly not the late grille as appear on the wonderful Volumex coupes.
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 29 March, 2021, 10:46:07 AM »

The article is just a complete mess which is a real shame for such a good magazine.

We all know it isn't a V4 but even if it was how would it need a special jig to skim it?

The claim to be trying to create a Series 1 is completely misguided as everything on the car is consistent with an early Series 2. The grille is not the identifying feature of the Series 1, the bonnet with a single central rib is the identifying feature. The series 1 grille was carried over into the original Series 2 1600 which also had the twin headlights. Rather than make his Series 2 2000 look like a Series 1 he has made his early Series 2 2000 look like an early Series 2 1600.

Another dubious item is the recovering of the door cards in original texture vinyl. The bit that needs replacing on Series 1 and early Series 2 door cards is actually the cloth insert in its centre section. This is very hard to repair so is not uncommonly replaced with vinyl. Vinyl was only original specification on the Spider where all of the upholstery was vinyl in case it got caught in the rain with the roof removed.

It is however surprising that only the door cards needed work as the back of the rear headrests usually succumb to UV deterioration even in the UK. In the Australian climate they should have been toast so I wonder if they had protective covers fitted by the original owner.

frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 29 March, 2021, 10:54:17 AM »

Here are pictures of the three generations of Beta Coupe / HPE / Spider grilles.

* Beta Grille 1.jpg (61.39 KB, 512x384 - viewed 586 times.)

* Beta Grille 2.jpg (81.4 KB, 647x480 - viewed 586 times.)

* Beta Grille 3.jpg (39.42 KB, 480x360 - viewed 669 times.)
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #8 on: 30 March, 2021, 08:16:35 AM »

The claim to be trying to create a Series 1 is completely misguided as everything on the car is consistent with an early Series 2. The grille is not the identifying feature of the Series 1, the bonnet with a single central rib is the identifying feature.

And of course being a Lancia that was not the whole story. Early 1600 S2 (certainly my Spider amongst others) have the Series 1 bonnet.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 30 March, 2021, 12:33:17 PM »

My comments were very much in the context of the Coupe featured in the article. My early S2 Spider similarly has the Series 1 bonnet. The whole story would require writing a book and others have done that better than I can.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd