Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 07:38:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia Rallye engine rebuild  (Read 2122 times)
arguti

« on: 19 May, 2021, 10:17:39 AM »

Greetings

I need some advice please re engine rebuild. Recently bought a 1967 Fulvia 1.2 which has a transplanted 1.3 Rallye powertrain with factory oil cooler.
Cut a long story short as the car was being prepared for shipping, sounds like the bottom end has lunched itself – spun bearings and the crankshaft is toast. Seller has sourced all parts for total rebuild included NOS crankshaft, pistons, conrods, etc etc as well as contributing towards labour costs for rebuild which I prefer to have done here in UK.
As I now have a blank canvas for build specifications, I would be grateful for recommendations re camshafts, mild modifications to improve things going forward – car is currently on Solexes and I have been advised to substitute with Dellorto DHLB35s.

I presume with spun bearings, re-using the oil cooler is a no no – am I being over-cautious?

I know it is almost impossible to answer but what are typical rebuild costs for this engine?

likely costs of a decent donor engine (just in case)?

My background is more Alfa (GTV6, 105 coupes, Sud Sprints) so the Fulvia is new territory in many ways although I do have a beta coupe and HF turbo and a (soon to be sold) 16V Integrale project.
Thank you.

« Last Edit: 19 May, 2021, 10:19:37 AM by arguti » Logged
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2021, 01:45:08 PM »

Firstly like for like there is no difference between a good set of solex and dellorto DHLB's. My friend in Belgium (not on this forum) repairs and uses both types and actually prefers the solex delivery. It is very subtle.

Secondly a good radiator repair shop should be able to fully flush your oil cooler and test it....

Why would it have "lunched itself" maybe there is a bigger problem???

Anyway the 303 cam is good upgrade and an increase in size of the exhaust valves and a freer breathing exhaust system than standard can reap a few horses.

PM if you want to discuss engine building

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
arguti

« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2021, 02:18:00 PM »

Thank you - it sounds the engine was only a few hundred miles after a "rebuild" around 4 years ago - owner has a large collection and never used the car.

Sounds like there was a "minor" oil leak and when trying to get the car ready for shipping, crank pulley was loose - not entirely sure but my guess is low oil pressure or chain tensioner came loose/failed. they took the head off (PO owns modern car dealership) and head looked fine but crank was shot - i would have thought valve/piston contact in above scenario but my knowledge of these engines is minimal.

I agree it does sound odd but the PO is not shirking from refunding costs so not suspicious as such and also, I really want this car!

I have had an alfa Nord engine let go with similar damage after engine builder fitted wrong size main bearings (very long story!!!)

« Last Edit: 19 May, 2021, 02:21:38 PM by arguti » Logged
Jaydub
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 19 May, 2021, 04:35:32 PM »

It`s almost impossible to clean out an oil cooler properly. I have experience from working in the dyno test shop at Cosworth Engineering and Hesketh Racing in the 70`s. Junk the cooler and buy a new one, they are a lot cheaper than a rebuilt engine!

1600 HF. S2.
arguti

« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2021, 04:56:49 AM »

Thanks for your comments.

I think I will wait until the car is here and see what a full strip down of the engine shows.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd