Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 11:13:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heater fan  (Read 4284 times)
andyps
Megaposter

« on: 20 February, 2021, 01:25:47 PM »

A simple question, is the heater fan single speed? Mine wasn't working and whilst I've got the dashboard dismantled to replace the cables I've been looking at the switch - I can see why the switch doesn't work it but I think I can sort that. I can get the fan to operate by connecting across the terminals but only at one speed, I'm not sure from looking at the underside if there should be two speed setting so wondered if anyone can let me know if that is correct.
RDG496

« Reply #1 on: 20 February, 2021, 05:49:40 PM »

Up until recently my fan (S2 car) did not work, then when I was fiddling the lever it fired up. It has 2 speeds for sure but when I dismantled the centre dash the contacts the lever sweeps across look worn hence its very sensitive to any lever adjustment.
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 20 February, 2021, 08:08:29 PM »

Thanks, from the look of the switch it looked like it should have two speeds but I only got it to work on one speed which I'm thinking is the most powerful. I'll have to do more contact cleaning!
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 20 February, 2021, 08:28:08 PM »

Series 2 cars have a two speed heater fan

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #4 on: 21 February, 2021, 09:40:41 AM »

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a picture of the fan control lever from my S2 taken when I had removed the heater control assembly for refurbishment.  You can see that the lever is in the off position and you can see the first and second speed contacts.  The metal is quite thin on the contacts and it would not take much corrosion to stop one from working.

* IMG_7381 copy.JPG (891.95 KB, 1814x1335 - viewed 208 times.)

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 21 February, 2021, 12:18:01 PM »

Thanks Norm. That is what mine looks like and why I thought it should be two speed. It's only working when I connect across to the left had one in that picture, the centre one isn't doing anything so must need more cleaning. The part of the switch that moves to connect them is along way from the connections on the swit h body though so I think I'll take it off to reshape it.
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 21 February, 2021, 09:57:31 PM »

Sorted the switch mechanism so it works correctly on the slider but can't make a connection on the red wire that goes to the middle terminal, connecting it directly to the power feed doesn't make what I presume should be the slower fan speed work so there must be a connection issue elsewhere frustratingly. I'm a lot less worried about that though than the cable for the heater valve being completely inaccessible at the valve to release the outer cable fastening!
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 21 February, 2021, 10:04:46 PM »

To try an answer the cable question I was just looking at Norm's thread on the rebuilt and saw the picture at the very bottom of page 34 (copied to this post) - https://www.lancia.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9873.495 - and the black/blue and yellow wires are the opposite way round to the way they are on mine which may account for the issue, can anyone confirm if that picture is correct?
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 21 February, 2021, 10:28:15 PM »

I had packed up for the night but decided to go back out and try - I have a two speed fan, the wires in the picture are correct it seems and mine had been fitted the wrong way round. Possibly because it is very tight getting the black/blue to the correct terminal, the wire feels a little short when the switch mechanism is pulled out of the dash. Anyway, pleased about that!!
LCR1967

« Reply #9 on: 26 November, 2021, 02:38:40 PM »

Hi all,

A mini thread hijack but it is related. Grin

I have a S1 and the heater fan is a bit sluggish when starting, probably needs a splash of WD40. The manual implies that all the ducts and the entire heater matrix needs removing. Do I have to remove the entire heater matrix just to access the heater fan? Or is there a shortcut of sorts?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 26 November, 2021, 03:49:41 PM »

I did this job recently and am afraid the manual is correct. BTW the stiff bearing will probably not present for a good squirt of WD40....

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
LCR1967

« Reply #11 on: 26 November, 2021, 08:49:33 PM »

I did this job recently and am afraid the manual is correct. BTW the stiff bearing will probably not present for a good squirt of WD40....

OK. Hopefully, WD40 will save the day and it'll give me the opportunity to get the matrix tested.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd