Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 07:44:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia Berlina steering pulls when accelerating or lifting off!  (Read 4223 times)
SteveA

« on: 30 January, 2021, 08:49:19 PM »

Evening! I have recently bought the dark red and white 72 Berlina you may have seen  for sale. I am working through some problems, but this is the most worrying. I have been advised it is the steering idler bushes ( plastic) .However, having remover the idler swivel (box?), there doesn't seem to be any significant play, so before I dismantle any further, I thought I had better ask the experts here..

My original, no Fulvia experience guess was maybe subframe mountings shot, but a quick look doesn't reveal anything drastic. Any thoughts, anyone?
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 30 January, 2021, 09:52:05 PM »

More than likely the nylon bearings in the idler bix are shot or one track rod end has a lot of play...

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
SteveA

« Reply #2 on: 30 January, 2021, 10:14:04 PM »

More than likely the nylon bearings in the idler bix are shot or one track rod end has a lot of play...

I had better check the ball joints next then; I have the new bushes for the idler box, but as there wasn't , apparently, much play at all, I was loath to disturb !
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 31 January, 2021, 08:14:08 AM »

If the bushes for the lower wishbones are perished, this is the sort of probolem you may get, worth checking them carefully, Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 31 January, 2021, 08:44:51 AM »

Evening! I have recently bought the dark red and white 72 Berlina you may have seen  for sale. I am working through some problems, but this is the most worrying. I have been advised it is the steering idler bushes ( plastic) .However, having remover the idler swivel (box?), there doesn't seem to be any significant play, so before I dismantle any further, I thought I had better ask the experts here..

My original, no Fulvia experience guess was maybe subframe mountings shot, but a quick look doesn't reveal anything drastic. Any thoughts, anyone?
Did you undo the idler box adjuster then check for play?

Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
SteveA

« Reply #5 on: 31 January, 2021, 08:01:38 PM »

Did you undo the idler box adjuster then check for play?

Yes, have taken it off car ( had to un olt top of damper first), seems reasonable
SteveA

« Reply #6 on: 31 January, 2021, 08:02:36 PM »

If the bushes for the lower wishbones are perished, this is the sort of probolem you may get, worth checking them carefully, Andrea
Thanks, will check that tomorrow!
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 01 February, 2021, 02:25:24 PM »

If the drifting problem is in the idler box, the car usually drifts to the same side and often the steering wheel is slighlty offcenter. With faulty wishbone bushes, the car can drift to the left or right at random, Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 01 February, 2021, 06:07:34 PM »

I had exactly this problem with the Portuguese Fulvia GT and it was completely solved by fitting a new set of steering arms from Cavalitto.
They weren't expensive either.
Chri9s

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
SteveA

« Reply #9 on: 01 February, 2021, 06:43:59 PM »

I had exactly this problem with the Portuguese Fulvia GT and it was completely solved by fitting a new set of steering arms from Cavalitto.
Chri9s

That is good to know!

Sadly no progress..steering arms to idler box don't seem to have significant play, and I can't get any movement on wishbone mounts. However, With spring loading on the suspension its difficult to know for sure. Did try jacking up outboard end, but nothing obvious even with metre long crow bar ( wielded czrefully!).

I think I might put rhs back together (having cleaned and lubricated) and try it on the road (locally of course!) and see which way it goes.

Many thanks to all! Dissappointing not to find some crumbling bits..
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 01 February, 2021, 08:30:20 PM »

Chri9s
If the idler is worn at all with nylon bearings this will be a priority to change as you have replacements. Is it LHD and does it pull to the right or visa versa?

That is good to know!

Sadly no progress..steering arms to idler box don't seem to have significant play, and I can't get any movement on wishbone mounts. However, With spring loading on the suspension its difficult to know for sure. Did try jacking up outboard end, but nothing obvious even with metre long crow bar ( wielded czrefully!).

I think I might put rhs back together (having cleaned and lubricated) and try it on the road (locally of course!) and see which way it goes.

Many thanks to all! Dissappointing not to find some crumbling bits..

Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 02 February, 2021, 04:40:37 PM »

The steering arms I removed did not appear to have significant wear whilst on the car......but as there was no play in the idler or the steering box, the problems had to be in that area.
Total transformation.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
SteveA

« Reply #12 on: 03 February, 2021, 01:45:57 PM »

The steering arms I removed did not appear to have significant wear whilst on the car......but as there was no play in the idler or the steering box, the problems had to be in that area.
Total transformation.
Chris

ok, even though no play in idler box, I'll replace wbilst I ha e it apart, then move on..

car is lhd; I  can't be sure ( fraught first drive home in wet and dark, lhd, no handbrake, misting windscreen, no o/s mirror, dogleg box etc were a bit distracting), but I think it pulled right under power, left on backing off
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 03 February, 2021, 04:08:55 PM »

Returning from Germany in my Fulvia Sport, travelling downhill with a trailing throttle, felt like towing an out of control trailer/caravan. Idler box was the problem. Richard
« Last Edit: 03 February, 2021, 07:27:12 PM by Richard Fridd » Logged

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
SteveA

« Reply #14 on: 03 February, 2021, 06:35:58 PM »

Returning from Germany in my Fulvia Sport, travelling downhill with a trailing throttle, felt like towing an out of control trailer/caravan. Idler box was the problem. Richarf

Mine was o ly mild, one off pull for each major use of throttle, in steady state it was fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd