Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 03:06:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my DELTA 16 HF ie 1989  (Read 7386 times)
Keith Large

2000 HF Pininfarina Coupe Injection

« on: 21 May, 2008, 10:33:48 AM »

Further to my previous posts -

Hello again,
I now have the replacement engine installed, and it is running pretty well (considering it has been stood since 1991 ) with occasional misfire and exhaust backfire on the first run. Last nights running about ( 2nd night of use) the misfire / backfire was a lot less. The technical manual I acquired covers the HF model, but not the HFie version. I also have brand new spark plugs, leads and distributor cap to install which should help. The Turbo / induction sounds wonderful, and I dare not yet twiddle with the turbo booster as it already seems scary enough at the moment thank you very much  Grin

Another problem is - I have a metal bracket next to the washer bottle (under the bonnet) that holds a black plastic WEBER part, this has a 2 pin socket and a very small bore pipe attached. Q. Where should this bracket be located please ? It is approx. 200x80x30mm in size.
Another problem is on the dash - the binnacle is black plastic with yellow dials (is this from an Integrale ?) the mileometer goes straight to 160 miles an hour even though I am not moving, and when I come to a halt the mileometer adds a mile every 30 seconds approx (no wonder the mileage looks high ! ). I presume getting a second hand dash console will not solve the problem ? Is it simply a ECU problem ( I have seen a couple of ECU's advertised on ebay last week).

Another problem is a plug that goes into the casting the hides the fuel injectors - With this plug disconnected the car runs good, but if i connect the plug, then the running is stifled / erratic / rough - any ideas please?

Excuse my ignorance as I am just a simple Beta / Fulvia owner normally.

If anyone fairly local has a 1600 HF ie, I would be happy to drive to you, just to compare engine bays etc.
I am in Derby area.
I want to get this sorted before the Lancia AGM date as I need to use the car at Curborough sprint June 1st.
Many thanks in anticipation of your advice,
Keith Large

regards, Keith Large
member 1290,

I have a 1982, series 2, Beta Spyder 2000, also a 1974 year 2000HF Coupe Injection,
HPEHF
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2008, 12:39:54 PM »

Keith,

May give you a clue where to look. A few years ago I helped a friend to change his engine in a cavalier.

When we started it up the rev counter showed 3500rpm at tick over. problem turned out to be a 2ltr engine instead of the 1.8 which should have been fitted.

Have you miss connected a cable or is the engine a later one. I am helping change a Dedra Turbo engine at the moment and the front engine mount/oil filter housing/oil cooler joint is different from the old engine to the new.

Regards

Simon
Keith Large

« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2008, 01:19:55 PM »

Hello Simon,
thanks for your input,
the new engine is the same Lancia type 1600 Turbo, the casting number series is the same as the broken engine (831B3 series) the engine swap was very straight forward. Only problem we had was that the old injectors were fouled up / corroded whatever (unused for 17 years), so we used the ones from the deceased engine. I only had to buy a new water pump, timing belt and hose clips. The engine mounts were same position. The dashboard / mileometer was performing the same miss-functions when I drove the car home in April.

(story is - Bought car off ebay, collected car from London, engine blew up at Oxford, half way back home. The guy who was taking me to London also had his van breakdown in Oxford on the way down, so I had to pay £100 taxi to collect the car from London. When my Delta deceased I had to walk alongside the M40 (luckily the old A40 runs parallel) in the rain for 3 miles to meet my mate, then await rescue from another mate, then back to Oxford the next day with our recovery truck to collect the 2 broken vehicles. It was THE weekend from hell, but there are many worse off, and I have many other tales of Lancia woe FAR worse, but what the hell, I just love these cars  Smiley
best regards Keith

regards, Keith Large
member 1290,

I have a 1982, series 2, Beta Spyder 2000, also a 1974 year 2000HF Coupe Injection,
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2008, 06:03:29 PM »

Another problem is a plug that goes into the casting the hides the fuel injectors - With this plug disconnected the car runs good, but if i connect the plug, then the running is stifled / erratic / rough - any ideas please?Hi Keith as an ex HF Turbo ie owner perhaps I might be able to help (with some at least) of your problems.

The plug? you refer to above is probably air intake temperature sensor connector, which leads me to believe that the sensor is probably faulty & needs replacing.

Another problem is - I have a metal bracket next to the washer bottle (under the bonnet) that holds a black plastic WEBER part, this has a 2 pin socket and a very small bore pipe attached. Q. Where should this bracket be located please ? It is approx. 200x80x30mm in size.

I could be wrong but this sounds like the absolute pressure sensor, if the small bore pipe is rubber, remove and check for splits as this will cause running problems.
Just had another thought, the heater flaps if I remember correctly are (or partially) operated by a vacuum system, so it maybe part of this.

Another problem is on the dash - the binnacle is black plastic with yellow dials (is this from an Integrale ?)

Don't think you have an integrale binnacle as my HFie Turbo (1986) also had the yellow instruments.

the mileometer goes straight to 160 miles an hour even though I am not moving, and when I come to a halt the mileometer adds a mile every 30 seconds approx (no wonder the mileage looks high ! ). I presume getting a second hand dash console will not solve the problem ? Is it simply a ECU problem ( I have seen a couple of ECU's advertised on ebay last week).

I wouldn't have thought this was an ECU problem more likely the speedo head or if it's the same as Dedra (Can't remember) and has an impulse generator on the gearbox, it would bworth checking the wiring to this, my first Dedra had similar. though not the same problems as you have.

I can't really help before June 1st, but if you can arrange for someone to meet me at the AutoItalia day at Stanford Hall on 1st June, I'd be happy to loan you my Delta HFie Turbo manual to use or copy.

Brian Hilton
 Cool
« Last Edit: 21 May, 2008, 06:20:07 PM by fay66 » Logged

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Keith Large

« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2008, 06:27:28 PM »

Hello Brian,
many thanks for your comments, I will have a twiddle under the bonnet and check your suggestions out,
thanks again
Keith Large

regards, Keith Large
member 1290,

Keith Large

« Reply #5 on: 24 May, 2008, 02:41:51 PM »

Hello Brian,
does your ie Turbo manual state the capacity of engine oil please ?
The HF Turbo (none ie version) technical manual states 6kgs total capacity and 4.5 kgs to replace oil at service. No mention of litres at all.  Huh?
The standard 1600 engine , (non-Turbo) has 4.7kgs capacity and 3.8 kgs to replace oil at service interval.
My car has 1600 Turbo ie engine but has an oil cooler / intercooler / dump valve etc. modsifications.
best regards Keith

regards, Keith Large
member 1290,

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 25 May, 2008, 12:49:40 AM »

Hi Keith,
It's had me scratching my head a bit which you can see from my Avtar's not a good idea Cry

The manual which shows (guess what) the correct capacity for your engine but in kg, however, the refill capacity for your engine is shown as dm/3 -4.80,  in the Dedra handbook, for Dedra 1.8 & 2.0 the refill capacity is also shown as dm/3- 4.80 which equals 4.2 qts ( just over a gallon), a conversion tables gives this 4.7733945 liter. Roll Eyes 
If the attachment survived this modified message, ignore it as it didn't come out right.

Hope this makes sense!
Best Regards
Brian
8227 Cool

* Delta Fluids capacities.pdf (140.28 KB - downloaded 242 times.)
« Last Edit: 25 May, 2008, 12:55:16 AM by fay66 » Logged

Dedra Technical Adviser
inthedark
« Reply #7 on: 25 May, 2008, 10:24:06 AM »

Digging around in the depths of my mind I seem to remember that
1 kilo = 1 litre (Roughly speaking)

Geoff
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 25 May, 2008, 12:58:35 PM »

For water (normal pressure and temperature) that is true - 1 kg is the weight of 1 litre of water. However, since oil is almost certainly denser, and therefore heavier, there may be a considerable discrepancy between the volume and weight of oil in metric measurements.

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
rogerelias
Rebel Poster

MY 1600HF IN HEARTBEAT GARAGE

« Reply #9 on: 25 May, 2008, 03:07:48 PM »

Suggestion. Put in 4 litres ,run engine ,top up at 1/2 litre at a time a note how much it takes, until at correct level on dipstick. Smiley

FULVIA 1600HF LUSSO
1958 VELOCETTE MAC
Triumph Bonneville t120v 1972
1968 MGC ROADSTER
1958 Series 2 Appia berlina
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 25 May, 2008, 03:22:19 PM »

Have a look at the page from the Dedra handbook with capacities & their equivilants attached.
Apologies for the poor quality. Sad

Brian
8227 Cool

* img631.jpg (80.5 KB, 738x560 - viewed 442 times.)
« Last Edit: 25 May, 2008, 03:24:10 PM by fay66 » Logged

Dedra Technical Adviser
Keith Large

« Reply #11 on: 25 May, 2008, 08:54:42 PM »

Hello to you all, many thanks for your assistance and advice.
My mate Garry is a mechanic. He showed me 2 of his 'tricks of the trade' in the form of his useful booklets, first one shows the timing belt routes for virtually every car / engine type you should see on the road in UK (even includes the Phaedra/ Zeta / Musa), second booklet shows how much oil to replace when draining the engine, whilst it is hot and via the sump drain plug.
For the 1600 HFie the book says 5 litres of oil. We drained it, waited, then poured about 4.5 litres new oil inside, waited again, started the engine, topped up the oil by pouring the remainder of the 5 litre container.
Hey presto, 5 litres = exact measure to top limit on dipstick. I will do a run about in the morning to find out if more oil needed.
If I had some decent scales I would have weighed the oil first, just for curiousity !
I showed Garry my manual showing oil in kilos, his reaction was typical, "bloody Italians, always have to do things differently" unquote. This attitude comes from his experience as he maintains the very varied Lancia collection of Dr. Brian Hands (Flavias, Aurelia sedan, Augusta etc.) who lives a mile away from us both. Luckily for myself, Garry has his workshop less than 20 metres from my house, to help me with the engine swap we bartered, I made him a chicken coop / run and also supplied 6 healthy chickens.
Now, who wants some cheap eggs ?
All the best, Keith

regards, Keith Large
member 1290,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd