Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 07:34:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dim indicator warning lamps  (Read 2423 times)
Derek Creasy

Here's to sunnier days

« on: 01 January, 2021, 04:19:22 PM »

Just thought I would pass this on in case anyone doesn't know like I didn't .   I have always thought that the dashboard warning lights for the indicators were too dim for daytime visibility on my 2000Coupe , and not wanting a squawking audible warning , I recently bought some 501 capless GREEN LED bulbs---they just about fit and with 4 forward facing LED's  are easily visible on daylight and now I don't need to keep checking if my indicators are  on or haven't turned off . I am told that that they definitely have to be Green because of strange color characteristics with LED's

2000HF Coupe          1972
Fulvia Sport  1.3S     1968
Delta 3 2.0 Limited   2012
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 01 January, 2021, 04:24:27 PM »

I have fitted these (or similar) green LED 501 bulbs to my Fulvias with great success. I resisted doing the panel lighting as I felt it would be too bright - same for the headlamp warning lights (too bright at night) and the alternator warning light will not work with LED technology.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
colinw

« Reply #2 on: 14 January, 2021, 01:20:23 PM »

I can concur with Derek’s findings. I have fitted green LEDS to the dash indicators and they are nice and bright in the day. At last I can now see them flashing away. Fitted BA9s green and BA9s (4) white warm white 3000k to illuminate the gauges, want a NICE difference fully illuminated dials no just in one little corner. Down side is, despite these LED’s being capable of being dimmed there is not enough resistance left in the circuit now that the traditional bulbs have been removed for the rheostat to function as it should and it has reverted to an on/off switch. At least I can see the gauges nicely and the clock too!
The voltage I measured feeding the traditional bulbs was only just over 10V. Some losses in the rheostat
perhaps? So the LED’s in my instance did not get the full 12V so they are  little dimmer which is fine for the gauges.
Above fitted to Flavia 1800 PF Coupe (1966).
I am sure others will have similar success with this change of bulbs.
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #3 on: 14 January, 2021, 03:49:43 PM »

Hi

I replaced all the bulbs in the dash of my Beta with LEDs including the alternator one, the brightness is not a problem. The only issue was the variable resistor/rheostat to dim the display which in may case was actually wired out and MIA. So I purchased a 500 ohm one to replace it which is now acceptable though does not fully dim the lamps, so maybe a 1k ohm would have been better. No idea on the Fulvia how this resistor is integrated into the dash, so changing it may not be practical?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd