Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
18 April, 2024, 11:35:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I wish I could have shown John, John, Morris.  (Read 762 times)
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« on: 17 July, 2023, 10:31:13 PM »

Its an odd way to make an update, and not a "proper update" as such, but with John M passing on and seeing a picture of John T I was thinking how enthusiastic they'd been for my project.  I wish they could have seen it all done, and I wish I'd updated John following what I'm calling "the miracle of coronation weekend".   

I had the work bench clear, I had some "so cheap its almost free" softwood, I had a couple of half days spare and over not much more than a week elapsed it went from "not got rid of it yet" when visitors called to "so when are you getting it going then?"   As is the way sh*t shortly happened and I've not touched it since, but I know I can fit my ever older friends in the back and their lanky 6ft+ offspring behind the wheel and have something to eyeball pondering "next moves" with the lines.   Its also given James Parry something to ponder.  His first thought was to get a proper boot floor in as he's found, progressing his late dad's ash framed Augusta, it makes a huge difference to stiffness at the back.  I will!!! 

I read back The Thread (no substantive progress in over a decade) and it was interesting to see that plans haven't changed.  "A trials tub" CAN be knocked up in a couple of days.  I still fancy blue fabric over ply for its first body.  Red seats (even dark red) seem a bit flash but cockpit lining in red to give a flash of colour when the doors open is the current thought, a bit like a suit lining.  Maybe softwood will do "for the first go", I've built sheds with that stuff now 20yrs old.  Maybe the next body will be ash or steel tube.  Whatever, it is "progress" and was fun in the doing and has been enjoyed by visitors be they into cars or not.

Where has that decade gone?   Zoe has just finished A levels, her plan is geography at Nottingham. William started work a few weeks ago engineering submarines in Barrow. Thomas is now lecturing history and economics at Cambridge.  Every now and then I make a bit of progress on an Austin 7, but not back on the road as yet.  We're at the time of year when I'm saying "hopefully VSCC brooklands in January". 

* PXL_20230627_170000942.jpg (179.18 KB, 499x665 - viewed 200 times.)

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2023, 11:58:03 PM »

I edited down the photos a bit and have linked the album in the main thread.

https://www.lancia.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1033.135

David Laver, Lewisham.
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2023, 05:20:03 AM »

January 2024 ? A January to aim for, being as good as any. Even as a W.I.P. Brooklands static display.
 I would love to see the projects progress, and I haven't forgotten the viewing at our visit 10+ years ago at Lewisham.Decades have rolled by, enforced procrastination theiving the time. I have heard that the VSCC still recruit comparatively youthful members. I met one at our LMC Boxley Abbey visit. A prospective Austin owner.

Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2023, 01:57:14 PM »

Anyone who knows me knows I like visitors dropping in.  Interest levels do vary and I'm careful to work out just how a long a story you want on each of the works "in progress" (or of late, not). 

Anyone I don't know in person as yet - don't be a stranger if passing through Lewisham, or interested enough to consider making a journey for a look-see at the Augusta or Flavia (still sort of in once piece, a recent wheel change was exciting), or the Austin 7 or Strada.  The Strada became an even bigger project when a tree dropped on it.  The roll cage saved it but the rear pillars ended up on the boot floor.  It will live again, but the structure will be more the new more integrated roll cage than 1985 fiat.   A pleasing afternoon had the roof cut off and pillars jacked back up into sort of position.  It looks like its just had "a big off". 

For me some second hand enthusiasm is always great, as are questions I've not thought of and ideas and random contacts, and if I'm not getting out into the Lancia world much at the moment its lovely when some of it comes to me.

In terms of coming out of my long hibernation I had the MIG welder setup yesterday for the first time in six years.  THE lesson was that my attention span aint what it was and re-learning will have to be little and often not a couple of long days of practice.  In that way "like riding a bike" which was a slow and painful re-acquaintance for all now happy going all day at it.  For Sara like playing the piano again.  For others getting back to playing cricket.  "Couch to 5K" is another nice example (I've heard!  Not me...yet...)

David Laver, Lewisham.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd