Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 05:09:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6V led headlights  (Read 2660 times)
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« on: 26 October, 2020, 10:40:59 PM »

I have just fitted a pair of these
 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-White-BA20D-3030-66-LED-Motorbike-Headlight-Bulb-Front-DRL-Light-6V-1000LM-/274542677311?var=&hash=item3fec04cd3f  which are
 White BA20D 3030 66 LED Motorbike Headlight Bulb Front DRL Light 6V 1000LM #=-l=-to my Aprilia.
The light is not inferior to that of the previous quarz halogen bulbs with a slightly less focussed beam.  Dipped beam is dimmed rather than dipped but I doubt it will cause oncoming traffic any problems.   
I have also fitted led festoon type sidelights, and stop/tail
1157 P21/5W 380 BAY15D 17smd 5630 CAR STOP TAIL BRAKE Reverse LED BULBS AC 6V which are better than the tungsten filament ones.

The current drawn is minimal such that I can use dipped headlights in the daytime with no concerns about load on the dynamo.

It is important to get the polarity right of course and it took a buit of fiddling about to get everything to work properly but wirth the effort.
Not particularly cheap even from China but cheaper than buyng them from the UK.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 28 October, 2020, 07:05:43 PM »

Went out again tonight.   The lights are perfectly fine for seeing where you are going but no match for oncoming modern headlights.   I left them on full and nobody seemed to mind but I was still dazzled.   I know I have a bit of cataract but do not have problems behind the Fulvia's 100/80 watt lamps.   I guess I shall have to go back to plan B and fit an alternator and convert to 12 volts.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2020, 08:42:56 AM »

Going slightly off topic, ref cataracts, I had increasing problems in my mid 60's with bright oncoming headlamps at night , particularly in wet conditions and this was  worse when driving a 'low' car. I had what I described to my opthalmic surgeon as 'sunburst with a halo effect' which was blinding.
However after having both eyes done with the optional Toric lenses 4 years ago which incorporate any astigmatism, everything was fine again and continues to be so. A side benefit is that ones glasses prescription after surgery (which is determined by what new lenses one opts for ) should never change.

In conversation I realise that many of our friends also suffer from similar effects and have done so since their late 60's to the extent that one or other of the husband/wife/partner refuse to drive at night nowadays. Oh the joy of ageing!!
Chris 

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 29 October, 2020, 01:57:23 PM »

Went out again tonight.   The lights are perfectly fine for seeing where you are going but no match for oncoming modern headlights.   I left them on full and nobody seemed to mind but I was still dazzled.   I know I have a bit of cataract but do not have problems behind the Fulvia's 100/80 watt lamps.   I guess I shall have to go back to plan B and fit an alternator and convert to 12 volts.
No need to fit an alternator, as many dynamos are available that are adequate. Some VW dynamos even look the part.
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 01 November, 2020, 10:57:17 PM »

Do they fit through the radiator though and have an eccentric armature?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd