Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:35:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Events 1968 LMC AGM at Overstone Park (Solarium): were you there? Photos?  (Read 2681 times)
Michael Bedford

« on: 09 August, 2020, 07:37:05 PM »

I was intrigued by the photo in Issue 625 in Nigel Hargreaves' reminiscences of the LMC AGM at Overstone in c.1969, with a wonderful collection of Aurelia B20s on display (and a sneaky Triumph Herald in the foreground). I attended the LMC AGM at Overstone in 1968 (I think) as an eager 6 year old car enthusiast, accompanied by my father in his silver/grey 1965 Flavia Sport Zagato. We had some family photos of that occasion (it was not raining) but, unfortunately, they have been misplaced in the succeeding 52 years. My father is now 85, with failing eyesight and I would love to be able to show him some pictures of that occasion, and ideally one showing his car.

Does any current member have any recollections of having attended the 1968 AGM (probably like me in short trousers!), or have any photos (perhaps 'inherited') of that event? If so, if they were able to share them, either on the forum or by PM, I would be enormously grateful.

p.s. It is possible the event I attended was the AGM in 1970 rather than 1968 but my father thinks not because by then he had badly dented the front headlight surround of his Flavia Sport and would have been rather self-conscious about turning up to a LMC event with a mangled motor.
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 10 August, 2020, 08:56:40 AM »

Here are a couple of photos from Overstone in 1968, both of Lambdas and interestingly all of which are still around 52 years later!
These are the only photos I have of the event, but I do remember seeing a new Fulvia (series 1) coupe there.
My father had a 1963 Flavia 1500 Sedan at the time, now sadly (very) long gone.

* 1968 LMC AGM Overstone photo copyright Ade Rudler.jpg (217.21 KB, 482x705 - viewed 302 times.)

* 1968 LMC AGM Overstone photo copyright Ade Rudler..jpg (172.9 KB, 728x493 - viewed 428 times.)

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
Michael Bedford

« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2020, 10:04:58 AM »

Ade,

Thanks. That is very helpful, even if no Flavias in view. It looks like 1968 was also a wet day too!

Coincidentally, I think my father's Flavia Sport Zagato may have ended up in your garden repository (Wootton Basset?) since I recall a trip I made there with my father in the late 1980s to see a collection of Flavia Sports when I was toying with the idea of getting an older Lancia. Unfortunately, I cannot recall the reg. no of his car but I think one we saw was silver/grey and with a damaged headlight surround. In the event, I was daunted by the scale of restoration involved and opted to buy a S2 Lancia Montecarlo instead. That was a great car (VKJ 511X), which was recently back on the market in Yorkshire having had something of a makeover. Not sure if it is now owned by a LMC member?

It is certainly good to hear that the Lambdas are still going strong!
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2020, 06:44:11 PM »

Mmmmmm, I did have a large collection of Flavia Sports at one time. There are three in this photo, another joined later and at least another two passed through my hands!

* Flavia Zagato collection copyright photo.jpeg (504.22 KB, 1467x861 - viewed 215 times.)

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 10 August, 2020, 09:28:29 PM »

I can’t help with images of the 1968 AGM at Overstone, but I do have some really good film from the 1971 event, also at Overstone in the pouring rain. This is one of three films made by John Maltby, all on one DVD, which runs to 63 minutes in total. They were originally made on Standard 8mm film (no sound track), transferred to VHS tape and now DVD.

The Overstone event features Lambdas and seemingly dozens of B20s, Flavias and some familiar LMC faces of the time. The second film is of a trip to Italy in 1971 to mark the 50th anniversary of the Lambda, also billed at the 2nd Radundo Internationale. This includes a visit to the Lancia works at Chivaso with Flavia and Fulvia in production. The third film is of another trip to Italy for the 1968 Coppa Monza. This includes wonderful in-car filming from Lambda, Aurelia and Flavia – all very atmospheric.

As well as being a Lancia guru, John Maltby was also a genius photographer and film maker. I am happy to make DVD copies for anyone interested - £5.00 plus £1.00 UK post.

Colin
Michael Bedford

« Reply #5 on: 11 August, 2020, 05:49:10 AM »

Thanks Ade for the pic of the Flavia Sports in 'retirement'. The graceful lines of the Spada design really comes through, once the cars are stripped back to their bare essentials! The garden is very much as I remember it: a wonderful automotive treasure trove. I am not sure whether either of the two Sports needing restoration was my father's old car. Neither seems to have a damaged head light surround but he sold it in c.1970 to the Renault dealer (in PX for a Renault 16TS unfortunately) in Leicester, Bob Gerard (who had gone into the 'trade' after his successful rally career) so I supposed it could have been repaired before being moved on.

Thanks Colin for your recollections and offer of a copy of the Maltby DVD. I would love a copy of that, it sounds very exciting. Can you send me details of how I can send you a payment?

It is funny how all the images of the AGMs at Overstone seem to show that it was raining. Clearly, LMC members in the late 60s/70s took a robust view on using their cars (including Lambdas as well as then more 'modern' Lancias' in the wet!

Michael.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd