Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:55:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B20 - Brake drum cover  (Read 2064 times)
Charles T

« on: 11 July, 2020, 04:03:41 PM »

Good afternoon all,

One of the rear brake drums covers has a slight indent on the rim, which is grinding slightly against the outer face of the fixed drum face as it rotates.  This is in one particular, small area of the circumference.

The indent is not big, but enough to make a knocking noise and is fairly resistant to being turned by hand from the wheel. If you drive fast enough, the noise is less noticeable but I do not think that is a very practical way of dealing with the problem!

I think that I will need to remove the outer brake drum cover to straighten out the indent. It all looks fairly tight for space.  Taking off the outer section/s of the exhaust is going to help.  Before I start taking this apart, it would be useful to confirm that it is possible to remove the brake drum cover without removing the transaxle from the car.

Can anyone give me any pointers on this one?

Thank you,
Charles
Charles T

« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2020, 04:54:58 PM »

I managed to remove the brake drum cover, after some persistence.

It turns out that one of the bolts that secures the cover to the drum mounting flange had worked slightly loose, leaving the head of the bolt protruding behind the flange.  It was grinding against the brake cylinder on each rotation. It does not appear to have done any damage. Fortunately I have been able to tighten the bolt back home without having to remove anything else.

Everything is now rotating freely without any grinding or resistance.  I hope it will be just a question of putting everything back together now.

Charles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd