Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 05:45:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia fluids  (Read 3100 times)
ICEMAN

« on: 22 June, 2020, 08:15:06 PM »

What are your recommendations for brand/type of oil in my 1.3 S3 ?
I am about do an oil change.
The previous Italian owner had the engine rebuilt recently. I am not sure which oil is in there at present.

Kev
« Last Edit: 22 June, 2020, 09:55:39 PM by ICEMAN » Logged
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 24 June, 2020, 08:25:43 AM »

I have long used 10/40 semi-synthetic from my local Motor Factor - Comma or some such brand, I see no need to pay twice as much for Castrol!

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2020, 11:21:14 AM »

Always lots of views on this but if you want long life between oil changes and the engine is (young) I recommend Millers nano fully synthetic 10-60 triple ester. A bit pricey but you won't be changing it for years....For older engines annual oil changing and use 20-50 classic oil (comma brand etc). BTW Millers is a UK product!!!

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 24 June, 2020, 03:00:09 PM »

Always lots of views on this but if you want long life between oil changes and the engine is (young) I recommend Millers nano fully synthetic 10-60 triple ester. A bit pricey but you won't be changing it for years....For older engines annual oil changing and use 20-50 classic oil (comma brand etc). BTW Millers is a UK product!!!

I was told (by a different oil company) that one of the reasons that nano is only used by Millers is that it creates a coating on everything inside the engine which is where the protection comes from. Repeated use over a few changes can cause that to build up such that oilways become restricted. I don't know how true this is but maybe has some validity. Otherwise I agree it is a great oil, I use it in my Fiat Coupe hillclimb car but may change to a different brand next time based on that information.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2020, 04:23:18 PM »

I was told (by a different oil company) that one of the reasons that nano is only used by Millers is that it creates a coating on everything inside the engine which is where the protection comes from. Repeated use over a few changes can cause that to build up such that oilways become restricted.

Never heard that - must be a different definition of nano to get any build up at all!!!! I might ask Millers tech if they have a view other than falling off their chair..(PS I have no connection to Millers or any oil company).

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
drdafeller

« Reply #5 on: 05 July, 2020, 08:26:08 PM »

https://www.millersoils.co.uk/nanodrive/#:~:text=In%20engine%20and%20gear%20oils,against%20wear%20and%20maximise%20power.&text=Millers%20Oils%20has%20developed%20a,synergistically%20to%20greatly%20enhance%20performance.

There is no evidence that once a coating of nano particulate is laid down on a metal surface that it continues to accumulate. The esters referred to in Miller's discussion above could/would be formulated to have the propensity to bond with metal, thereby laying down the friction-reducing surface described, but not necessarily to adhere to itself. Ergo once the surface is coated, it would not build up layer upon layer of ester-based nano particulate. Unlike, say, regular motor oils which through, e.g., oxidation over time, contamination, etc., would create deposits and buildup as the petroleum breaks down into its components/dispersants.
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 05 July, 2020, 11:21:28 PM »

Interesting replies on the nano oil from Millers, as I said it is just something I was told as the reason other oil companies don't use it, but based on my own experience I am very happy with it and have paid a lot of money for it fairly regularly. I plan to put it in my Fulvia but was interested in the comment made in relation to repeated use - the inability of nano to build up makes sense though as it might otherwise stick to itself in the container Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd