Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 06:16:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: coolant loss 1300 series 3  (Read 3420 times)
Oliveoils

« on: 17 June, 2020, 09:15:50 AM »

I am currently having to top up radiator with about 1 ltr of fluid every 50 miles or so. There are no signs of coolant leaks under the bonnet or on the ground when standing.Also no evidence of head gasket issues.Car is not overheating, and heater works fine ( apart from control valve being stuck in open position ! )
I am wondering if the water is being blown from the radiator cap? Although this looks fairy new , pictures of radiator caps I,ve seen for the cars indicate it could be for a series 1 and not a 2/3. Does anybody know if pressure ratings are different  for different series cars? Could this be my issue or are there any other suggestions to help me out ?
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2020, 12:27:24 PM »

Fulvias do not need the header tank full. They self level. So long as there is c 1/2" of antifreeze above the rad matrix and this remain stable then it is ok. Dont change the cap for a high pressure one.. Can't remember but think 1/2bar is correct.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
eog

« Reply #2 on: 17 June, 2020, 02:51:17 PM »

Just checked and can confirm 0.5bar cap on my S2 radiator.
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 17 June, 2020, 02:59:23 PM »

The coolant consumption you report is quite large and not normal at all. Assuming that you don't have a pool of coolant leaking from the heater matrix/valve and hiding under your carpets, regrettably the first explanation for your problem is that the cylinder head gasket is damaged somewhere. I suggest you do a cylinder compression test to find out this possibility. The 0.5 bar rating of the rad cap is correct. Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
Oliveoils

« Reply #4 on: 17 June, 2020, 03:53:17 PM »

Thanks Guys. Car is currently in paint shop having work done for next few days. When I get it back Ill check the cap rating.
Head Gasket failing will be my next port of call. Interestingly the engine has started to puff a bit blue smoke( not white) Undecided from exhaust when pulling away. Engine is performing fine and has no nasty knocks and good oil pressure.
Thought this may be due to valve stem seals letting oil by, as car has recently been recommisioned after a long lay up. However could it be another symptom of head gasket giving up?
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 17 June, 2020, 04:22:56 PM »

Smoke could be a mixture of oil and coolant in the exahust ports. Hopefully this is not the case but it deserves investigation. Moreover, the valve stem seals (especially the old type ones) do wear out giving a puff of blue smoke when starting and when lifting the throttle. Modern seals are much more long lasting. The guides could also be worn. However, these potental problems will not give just high coolant consumption. Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 17 June, 2020, 08:07:24 PM »

I agree with Tim,
I don't think you're losing it, my 2c has only ever settled just above the Matrix, I did the filling up every morning on my way to Portugal one year, then wondering where it had gone the next morning.
Eventually came to the conclusion that it was blowing it out of the overflow and finding its own level, 16 years on its still the same.
Series 1's don't have the seals anyway, 20 years and 36,000 miles later I get a bit of blue smoke!
But what I burn is negligible.
Brian
8227  Cool
« Last Edit: 17 June, 2020, 08:09:18 PM by fay66 » Logged

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 18 June, 2020, 12:34:27 PM »

I agree with Brian, same with a Flaminia, I used to top it up until I realised that this how it was before expansion tanks. 

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
Oliveoils

« Reply #8 on: 24 June, 2020, 10:25:32 AM »

Radiator cap proved to be ok. Coolant seems to be holding its own for now. Wondering now if it is me topping up when car is parked on a slope and also if there have been air locks in the system as the temp gauge is registering intermittently . Still dont think it is ahead gasket issue. As the heater valve needs replacing I now plan to drain and flush the system and do a general overhaul. to make sure everything is working as it should.
The puffs of blue smoke are almost certainly down to worn valve stem seals. Another little job to add to to the list. Oh the joys of old Lancia ownership!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd