Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 12:08:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake master cylinder  (Read 3449 times)
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« on: 05 June, 2020, 10:56:00 PM »

I  should know this but don't.  I have just rebuilt my master cylinder and fitted it back into the car but cannot see how to fill it.   I have filled the reservoir but the pedal just flaps up and down uselessly.   I tried sucking from the rear wheel cylinder bleed but to no avail though fluid and air came out.    Is it a two person job?   Pressure from above or suction from below whilst working the pedal?

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2020, 05:37:54 AM »

Is it not possible to put a little pressure on the reservoir, that usually helps.  But no experience here with aprilia's....(yet)
SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2020, 07:59:06 AM »

Probably a daft question - but is the pedal attached to the master cylinder? Has that once with an X19 clutch master cylinder where the pushrod went into the rubber cover but hadn't engaged in the socket, it had caught on the sealing lip of the rubber and depressing the clutch caused the rod to stretch the rubber and on release, return the pedal. Took while to work that one out....
Guy
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 06 June, 2020, 08:43:58 AM »

O wata na Siam
(Thai national anthem according to my primary school headmaster who made us sing it)
It was getting late yesterday and I have not attached the push rod to the pedal!!!
Thanks SanRemo!

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #4 on: 06 June, 2020, 10:52:48 AM »

And delete thread through embarrassment...

Bleeding brakes (or cutch) can be a two person job. Just make sure your helper knows the difference between clutch and brake and you tell them which one you're trying to bleed. Ask Andrea about that sometime - another episode it took me a while to sort out...

Guy
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2020, 11:33:33 AM »

For future reference, once I had connected up I found that gravity had done the job for me, just routine brake bleeding needed.

peterblenk

« Reply #6 on: 20 June, 2020, 09:34:55 AM »

I am sure it's obvious to anyone who has experience with hydraulic brakes, but I once had a devil of a time bleeding until I adjusted the brakes - this must be done first. Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd