Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:08:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 327XVF - LHD 1962 Series 3  (Read 4821 times)
DaveKennedy

« on: 04 May, 2020, 11:05:37 AM »

Just want to introduce myself and my Appia.

I bought a 1962 S3 Berlina in February and am slowly sorting it out. It was imported from Italy last year as part of a batch of cars and it was driveable (just) but needed a lot of tidying up. It had been in storage for many years.
My major success so far has been rebuilding the water pump, with help from Jim Clarke and Don Cross.
The car runs well and there aren't too many holes. The rear valance is the worst part. The inside floor is very rusty.
Looking forward to meeting other Appia owners at some point, including Don  (I'm near Hereford, so not too far from him).

I have a question too: does anyone have any tips for replacing the window seals - the U channel and straight lower section around the door glass?  The ones on my car are falling apart - possibly the reason the inside floor is so rusty.

A couple of photos attached and there are more here: https://www.silanion.com/appia-photos/

Dave Kennedy

* IMG_1888_small.jpg (50.67 KB, 800x598 - viewed 480 times.)

* IMG_1888_small.jpg (50.67 KB, 800x598 - viewed 473 times.)

* IMG_1889_small.jpg (66.47 KB, 598x800 - viewed 573 times.)
« Last Edit: 02 May, 2021, 04:43:50 PM by DaveKennedy » Logged
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2020, 04:37:36 PM »

Greetings. I have just been messaging Luke Gough who is a young enthusiast who is wrestling with a rusty S3 Berlina at the moment as well. I'm not sure if he is on the Forum but I'll check. You may need an Appias Anonymous support network. Your rear footwells don't look desperate to me. I have a Flaminia project that had paddling pools in the back but once cleaned up and painted they are still far more solid than a modern car.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2020, 04:44:49 PM »

Having browsed the Italian adverts from time to time fascinating to see one "landed".

Thank you for sharing the link with pictures.  Looks lovely.  As you say one to "tidy up" and that can be over a period of time.  "Rolling restoration" comes to mind as well. 

Driven it much yet?   

Interior looks usable or is stitching weak or something photos don't show?

David Laver, Lewisham.
lancianut666
Permanent resident

Slow but rough

« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2020, 04:54:54 PM »

Looking at the floor the Appia Consortium has some new replacement floorpans…
Clarkey

Fulvia Coupe S2 Flavia Coupe 1967 1.8 Kugelfischer Prisma 1.6 carb Y10 Fila Y10 Touring Dedra 1.8 Dedra 2.0 Turbo Appia S1
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2020, 11:33:58 AM »

Looking at the link it's a great project. I particularly like the original Voxson radio and the period steering lock.
Cassino

« Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2020, 12:08:48 PM »

Welcome to the Appia forum Dave.
I have a series 2 and have been fettling for the past year or so.My floors are pretty solid
but surface rust is evident, but a good wire brush and rust treatment plus grey primer seems to deal with it.
As far as the window seals are concerned, I think Will said that its a days work per window, and is therefore a pain in the Bum?For the dedicated only....maybe?No doubt the parts are also pricey.
Good luck with the on going work....your car looks very good.
Ian

Delta Series 3. Appia Berlina Series 2.
Moto BM Zebretta. Moto Guzzi Leggera 65

Previous Lancias.
 Beta Berlina 1400,Delta 1300, Delta GT,Prisma 1500,Prisma 1600 IE, Dedra 1800, Dedra 2000.IESE.
DaveKennedy

« Reply #6 on: 05 May, 2020, 12:11:01 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I didn't mean to post those three photos, something went wrong there.

I drove the car home mostly running on 3 cylinders, but that was only because one spark plug was completely submerged in oil!
I've only driven it a few miles around home since, checking what was working properly.
I've changed all the fluids, replaced all the hoses and all the ignition parts and freed up everything that was sticking, and it runs pretty well.
The brakes aren't good - I haven't removed the drums to check inside yet.

The seats are good. Most of the vinyl-covered trim strips are badly discoloured and won't clean so might need to be painted. The headlining has a few very small splits but I think it can stay as it is. The dash will be OK if I can find out how to remove the instrument pods!

Looks like there won't be much metal left after derusting the floor pans but I'll avoid welding in new ones if possible.

Yes, looking forward to getting the radio going. I have two other valve radios waiting to be fixed so it might take a while ....

New boot seal and window channels now on order.
will

« Reply #7 on: 11 May, 2020, 07:22:30 AM »

The windscreen and back window is normally where the water gets in on an Appia. For many years I drove my Appia with very tatty windscreen and back window rubbers ( new ones were not available). To solve the problem the glass needs to be removed and resealed if you can new afford rubbers they are available from  http://www.cicognaniguarnizioni.it/Lancia-132/appia-2a--3a-serie-132-g25.

I have removed the screens myself and fitted them but I would suggested you find a good windscreen fitter.The door window seals are available in the UK not as nice as the Italian ones put cheaper. You will need to remove the glass, the door cards and window winder mechanism to fit the seals.

The rust on the rear passenger floor is normal on Appias. If its not too bad  ‘Cassino treatment' will do.  I have known some
Appia owners repair the floor with fibre glass.

On my car the floor rusted on below the drivers feet. I remember it took all day to repair cutting the rust out shaping a new piece of metal and welding it in. I hate to think what this would cost today.  

To fit new floor pans or parts would be a major exercise to fit possible a complete strip of the car so that it can be on its side.
« Last Edit: 13 May, 2020, 07:17:00 AM by will » Logged

Aurelia B20 4th Series Appia 2nd Series  Kappa Coupe 3.0 24v V6
Walbarr

« Reply #8 on: 11 May, 2020, 07:59:33 AM »

Hi Will

Excuse my ignorance. What is the Cassino treatment
Walter
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 11 May, 2020, 08:32:08 AM »

Hi Will

Walter
See reply #5 below...

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Cassino

« Reply #10 on: 11 May, 2020, 12:25:31 PM »

Hi Will

Walter

That was me .....

NB. I chose Cassino as that is the FCA plant that built my series 3 Delta....

Delta Series 3. Appia Berlina Series 2.
Moto BM Zebretta. Moto Guzzi Leggera 65

Previous Lancias.
 Beta Berlina 1400,Delta 1300, Delta GT,Prisma 1500,Prisma 1600 IE, Dedra 1800, Dedra 2000.IESE.
Walbarr

« Reply #11 on: 11 May, 2020, 05:05:30 PM »

Silly me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd