Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 12:39:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Augusta fuel tank  (Read 3055 times)
Niels Jonassen

« on: 26 April, 2020, 12:31:29 PM »

A friend has asked me if I know anyone who can help him with a fuel tank. The tank in his Belna is leaking through a number of rust holes in the bottom. I have suggested that he has a new tank made, but it will of course be much easier if there is a tank available somewhere.
Kari

« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2020, 08:22:31 AM »

I suggest to open the tank at the bottom and go from there. My tank had a repair many decades ago but was still rusting inside. I have removed the repair sheet and cleaned the inside. Soldered pin holes at the bottom of the float tube.

Not so easy to make a new tank. Float tube, baffles etc.

Regards  Karl

* Tank 01.jpg (795.35 KB, 1059x779 - viewed 319 times.)

* Tank 02.jpg (844.9 KB, 1207x798 - viewed 321 times.)
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2020, 08:03:21 PM »

Am trying to puzzle it out.

Is it closed with rivets then soldered to seal?

David Laver, Lewisham.
Kari

« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2020, 09:03:54 AM »

The petrol tank had a repair probably in the late 1940's. The angled sheet on the left is a repair sheet which was riveted to the bottom and the rear of the tank and sealed by soft solder. About 15 years ago I had an annoying leak at a baffle attachment rivet at the front of the tank. But only whe I opened up the tank, the mess came visible. I then removed more corroded metal, cleaned the inside and riveted the whole lot together with copper pop rivets, which I got from the local plumber. Sealing was done again by soft-soldering. While the tank was open I have removed the fine mesh above the petrol outlet, which collected much dirt and restricted the flow of petrol. Instead of, I use a fine mesh on top of the glas bowl.
A spot to watch is the bottom of the float tube. There, water from condensation can pool and cause corrosion. When the tank is installed in the car, the repair is not visible.

I think the corrosion started when the car was standing in a damp place during war time without any petrol in the tank. Condensation then led to the damage.

Regards  Karl
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2020, 09:50:24 PM »

Just looked up copper pop rivets.  New to me.  Says used for roofing and gutters etc.

David Laver, Lewisham.
Kari

« Reply #5 on: 10 May, 2020, 10:09:53 AM »

Exactly, for riveting gutters etc. Can be sealed by solder.

Karl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd