Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:35:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Various Aurelia brake drums and shoes for sale.  (Read 3319 times)
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« on: 03 April, 2020, 04:12:32 PM »

As the amount of clutter in my garages has reduced I have been able to have a closer look at the various drums, shoes and backplates I have here in Sunningdale which are surplus to my requirements.
The 'jewels in the crown' are as follows:

4 x cast irons  front OE brake drums to fit  B20 S2,3,4,5 & 6 ...and also B12 I think
3 x aluminium with cast iron inner surfaces front OE brake drums for B20 S4,5 & 6. These will also fit S2,S3 and I think B12

I can provide accurate inside diameter dimensions for all of these as well as photos of the inner surfaces.

1 axle set = 4 front brake shoes for B20 S5/S6 ( I think - I know the linings are shorter for S5 but are they the same width?)  with good useable linings

4 x front brake backplates complete with shoes, wheel cylinder etc for B20 S2,3 & 4 ...and also B12 I think. One pair of backplates has good linings, the other needs ones relining.  The wheel cylinders will need renovating/replacing but I have these in Italy on the shelf I believe.

And then I have a wide selection of other Aurelia drums, brake shoes, backplates etc.
As always, no reasonable offer refused.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2020, 06:56:33 PM »

Here are a couple of photos.
One is of one of the 4 single leading shoes front brake assemblies I have and the other is of the set of 4 twin leading shoes brake shoes.
I also have a some new unused brake linings.
Specs and dimensions to follow tomorrow I hope.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 04 April, 2020, 06:45:53 PM »

it always puzzled me why one shoe is aluminium and the other steel.
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 04 April, 2020, 07:42:13 PM »

It might appear that I have little else to do (true) apart from writing at length about Aurelia brake drums but having trawled through the data I have here, I believe the following is tryue.
Last night I had a good look at some Aurelia Technical documents regarding front brake drums.

It appears that 2nd, 3rd and 4th Series B20 and B12 and B24 Spider all had single leading shoe and the drums were 300mm o/d x 70mm. The drums were either steel or aluminium casting with cast iron inserts. ( The I/d of the wheel cylinders varied and 4th series seem to often  have stepped cylinders)

B20 5th series and B24S Convertibles had  twin leading shoe brakes with 300mm o/d drums and the linings were  206mm long x 65 mm wide. The drums were aluminium casting with cast iron inserts.

B20 6th Series (and some late B24S Convertibles ?) had twin leading shoe brakes with 300mm o/d drums and the linings were 236 or 314 mm long x 70mm wide. The drums were aluminium casting with cast iron inserts. I assume the shoes are wider and longer than 5th series to reduce brake judder.

There are detail design and manufacturing differences between the various aluminium drum with cast iron inserts but dimensionally all the drums have the same inner dimensions and in principle all the drums are interchangeable.

As to what drums and shoes I have for sale here is a summary:

I have one axle set of 4 shoes for front brakes on B20 5th series/B24S Convertible The shoes have linings 206mm long x 65 mm wide. and they are asbestos based and hardly worn .

Cast iron brake drums:
2 x 300.4mm I/d. No scoring or corrosion.
2 x 302mm I/d These have been skimmed and are smooth with not scoring or corrosion.

Aluminium with cast iron insert, all of which have a good inner surface.
1 x 300.2mm I/d
1 x 301.2mm I/d
1 x 301.3mm I/d
I have another pair  these in Italy but I don't have its I/d to hand.

And as mentioned in an earlier post, I have 4 sets of complete single leading shoes front brake assemblies including shoes, back plates etc. All in good condition although they will need rebuilding with new seals.
And then I have plenty of rear brake drums etc and also smaller drums for the earlier Aurelia models.
I am not aware if new brake drums are available but if they are they will not be cheap.
Also I don't have the factory limit for the I/d of these front brake drums.

Apologies for the length of this but as with many  things Lancia, the progression not totally straightforward or logical.
Chris

Chris Gawne
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 21 April, 2020, 09:38:27 AM »

Just to add to (my) confusion, early Aurelias such as B10 and 1st series B20 had 280mm I/d single leading shoe drum brakes.....but there were two types of drum.
One had what is effectively a flat face up behind the roadwheel whereas the other had a dished face behind the wheel and I presume therefore a different offset?
And then we move to wheels.
I 'think' 1st series B20 10 slot wheels are the same as those fitted to B10s.....and I 'think' these 2 models of car used the flat face 280mm I/d drums? Can someone help me here?
The eagle eyed amongst you will see that I have omitted B21 and B22. I believe B22s used 300mm I/d cast iron drums with single leading shoe like 3rd series and early 4th series B20.
With B21 I am not entirely sure even though I have one! The front drums and shoes were not fitted when I collected the car but the backplates are there so it should be possible to work out what they originally were when I get the car back.
Any info would be gratefully received.
Chris
Chris .

Chris Gawne
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 26 April, 2021, 06:29:01 PM »

In true Lancia fashion, whilst most of what I wrote above regarding brake drums is true, there are actually more variations than I realised.
I won't try and describe all variations - just the ones I have here in Sunningdale for disposal before I return to Italy in the last week of May.

Front drums:-
I have complete 280mm single leading shoe front brake sets including backplates, shoes and both flat faced drums and dished face drums drums.
I have a complete set of 300mm single leading shoe brakes for 2.5 litre Aurelias and B12 including backplates, shoes and drums.

Rear drums:-
Whilst all Aurelias had 280mm dia rear drums, there were actually 2 widths of shoes and accordingly two types of backplate and 2 types of drum.
The later backplates only differ from the early ones in respect of having a spacer welded to move the wheel cylinder over 3mm or so.
I think these narrower rear brakes were fitted to early Aurelias including 2 litre....so B10, early B20, B21 and B22....and I also think that there must be 2 types of rear drum - flat for the early 10 clotted wheels and dished for the later wheels.
I believe I have good used parts available for all variations.

As usual, any reasonable offers considered.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd