Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 05:31:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3D Printing for replacement parts  (Read 2338 times)
Foggitt

« on: 01 March, 2020, 02:48:08 PM »

Has anyone any experience of ordering/using 3D replacement parts, as I need a fuse box cover for my Aprilia?
The present one is Bakelite, but I may have to have a non Bakelite replacement made.
I’m in Hampshire and would welcome advice if anyone has any experience of 3D parts.
Thanks!
Andrew
AlanT

« Reply #1 on: 02 March, 2020, 08:39:22 PM »

Andrew,
I'm a mechanical design engineer and I've made use of 3D printed parts for prototypes, for various work projects going back more than 10 years. In my line of work they are most often used to quickly prototype what will end up being an injection moulded plastic part.

I have noticed that the quality and robustness of these parts has improved over the years, but you need to be aware that the 3D part will NOT be as robust as the original part. These parts tend to be more fragile than injection mouldings, or in your case a compression moulded bakelite part. however, sometimes it's possible to thicken up wall sections on the 3D part to make the part more robust. For example, thicken up wall sections around screw fixing points.

Have you found a supplier who is able to supply your part? If so, I'd be interested to know what type of material and the type of process they are proposing to use. I'd be happy to advise on suitability. In summary, as it's a fuse box cover, it's probably not under much stress so a 3D printed part could work ok. Is it screwed in position or clamped?

Regards,

Alan
Kari

« Reply #2 on: 03 March, 2020, 04:38:37 PM »

Andrew,

If the fuse box cover you are looking for is the one with 6 fuses, then I think those boxes are still available at

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/

and from some suppliers in Germany.

regards

Karl

Foggitt

« Reply #3 on: 03 March, 2020, 09:18:25 PM »

Karl,
Thank you.
I’ve just been looking at them & I’ll need to measure up to see if they might fit.
Regards,
Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd