Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 07:54:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Delta  (Read 38318 times)
lee69
« Reply #15 on: 10 June, 2008, 03:58:32 PM »

Video footage now available:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G830JYZkzk in Italian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45u8S9UdV7Y with just music
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 11 June, 2008, 08:46:07 AM »

Certainly looks good but I suspect choice of colour will play an important part., must admit it's the fist time I'd noticed the row of leds under the main lamps.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
lee69
« Reply #17 on: 11 June, 2008, 02:01:59 PM »

Having watched these a couple of times, can anyone explain the underbumper light?  On bends one of them appears to come on, but it doesn't flash intermittently like an indicator.  Maybe it's the angle that catches the reflector at the back of the lens - but I'm confused!

Lee
inthedark
« Reply #18 on: 11 June, 2008, 04:13:31 PM »

Not definate on the Delta but a few Mercedes illuminate one of their fog lights on slow corners.

Geoff
Alan Temple

« Reply #19 on: 12 June, 2008, 12:14:03 AM »

Just got back from the Delta Press Launch in Turin this evening and I have to say that I was very impressed. The fit and finish was second to none and the performance across the range was a revelation. I will also say that Lancia are deadly serious – this was not a cheap event and nothing was too much trouble for them.

Size wise, the cars sits between the C and D segments and there is ample room in the back seats even for a 16 and a half stone lump like me. The rear seats are split 2 – 1 third and both can be moved forwards or backwards, a neat trick that allows rear and boot space as required.

All the engines, both petrol and diesel, are turbo charged and Euro 5 compliant and have 6 speed manual boxes. They give excellent flexible performance but with lower class leading emissions. It used to be the case that Lancia cars had slightly lower outputs than the equivalent Alfas, but not any more! The Twin Turbo 1.9 M-jet diesel knocks out 200bhp and has 400NM of torque, but more about that later.

As I was tagging along with UK journalists I had to drive what I was given at the start of the day and started off in the entry level 1.4 T-jet petrol 150 bhp first, but ultimately this was the best way to start as people who drove the bigger engined diesels with there effortless power found it slow by comparison.

To put it bluntly I was shocked at the performance. If you like Italian cars that you can rev the nuts off then this will do. It pulls well in every gear and there is barely any lag. It is easy and smooth to pootle along in and when pressing on the car rides and handles well but it isn’t a pure sports car and is a bit soft on the limit. On the last leg of the test route back into Turin the Autostrada was fairly quiet and I thought I’d do a speed run and got up to an indicated 210kph which is 130 mph! The car was completely composed and planted and it felt like I was doing around 90mph. Amazing for a standard 1.4.

After lunch I got the keys to the 1.9 m-jet twin turbo which to say the least was quick and in actual fact really very rapid and is the sort of performance diesel that will convert petrolheads. Basically, the system works with a small turbo up to 3000 rpm and a larger turbo from 3000 rpm to the redline of 4500 rpm. This car also had the adaptive sports suspension pack on it which works really well. I’ve never driven a diesel like it as unlike other diesels this car does not run out of puff, in fact when booting it you have to watch the revs as it just goes straight round to the redline pulling all the way – there’s no drop off of power at all.

To give you some idea of the speed this car carries, 3000 rpm in 6th gear is 170 kph (105 mph) and the car is just cruising. At the same time it’s perfectly docile about town and in slow traffic but put your foot down and the torque smoothly surges in and it goes. The two turbos work really well. Put it in any gear and floor it from 1000 rpm and you cannot tell when the small turbo stops and the big one kicks in. It’s seamless.

Looks wise, I know the car is not to everyone’s tastes but it just doesn’t photograph or even film that well. In the metal though it looks really good and grows on you every time you see it. It certainly looks good and stands out on the road and of over 60 journalists from all over Europe (excluding Germany and France who were there last week) I didn’t hear any adverse comments about the looks once over the course of the two days.

Lancia describe it as their beautiful new car and are very proud of it and IMO after spending a couple of days with 50 or 60 of them, rightly so.

At the end of the day this car will be a success, even in the UK if it is judged on it’s own merits rather than old preconceptions and comparisons. After all this is the first new Lancia of their second century and is well and truly a 21st Century car.

Finally, to dispel a few rumours and state a few facts. In a Q&A session after the presentation of the new Delta by Lancia CEO Oliver Francois he stated the following:

Lancia will build the Fulvia concept car and this will be presented at Geneva in 2009.

There will be 2 - 3 new models between the B & C segments meaning more than 1 new product a year until 2012.

The Thesis will end by 2012 and there will not be a replacement.

There will be no return to motorsport with the new Delta. This was later reiterated.

I also spoke with Ayoul Grouvel Lancia Europe Sales Director and Oliver Francois before dinner about various things, one of which was of the rumours circulating on the Internet about the Lancia purchase of an F1 team.

Ayoul turned to Oliver and asked him "So, are you buying an F1 team then?" to which Oliver gave a  perplexed look then smiled and said "No." In all honesty it looked like he though the notion was ridiculous. Ayoul then said "Why do we want another F1 team when we already have one in the FIAT Group?"

More to follow in Viva Lancia!
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #20 on: 12 June, 2008, 12:23:39 AM »

Thanks Alan,
Nice to have an objective opinion.

Your feelings about the 1.4 T Jet very much reflect my own opinion of the same engine in the New Fiat Bravo, I was astounded at the performance and couldn't believe how good that 6 speed gearbox is.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #21 on: 12 June, 2008, 08:51:08 AM »

I hear rumours that because of rising fuel prices, Fiat are rethinking their engine range on the new Delta, it would be a shame but unless something unpredictable happens the public will make a wholesale return to petrol driven cars. I cannot help but reiterate that unless Lancia soon introduce alternate fuel, power units they will have missed the boat.   

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #22 on: 12 June, 2008, 10:46:33 AM »

More, I now learn that the Fiat 500 and Panda are undergoing tests with hybrid electric/petrol power units. Also twin clutch and six speeds are in the frame. Just in time for the new 'Ipsy'.
BTW said to report that the new Seat Ibiza 3Door looks a heck of a lot like the new Delta.

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #23 on: 12 June, 2008, 11:22:46 AM »

Great article Alan and nicely objective Smiley I look forward to seeing more in VL!

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #24 on: 12 June, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »

Peter,

Interesting comments re petrol vs diesel.  I've done some sums recently, and certainly for some cars and some engines, given my mileage, it is actually cheaper right now for me to run the petrol rather than the diesel equivalent - though it still works out cheaper for me to run the 120 diesel Bravo rather than the 120 petrol.  However, the Seat Leon with VW's 1.4 Turbo TFSi engine is a cheaper option than the 2.0TDi in that car.

Even more interesting, my finance director has suggested it may be possible to extend the lease on my current car by a few months, to allow me to wait for a Delta...  So the sooner I can now get prices and specs for the UK, the better...

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
2012 Skoda Yeti 112TSi 4WD
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #25 on: 12 June, 2008, 02:38:49 PM »

Worth checking out the technical specs attached with the main gallery (pictures) link from the italiaspeed website - the performance and emissions combinations for the new Delta are absolutely outstanding.  The twin turbo diesel is only putting out 149g, the 2.0 diesel 139g, and the 1.6 diesel only 130g.  The 120 bhp petrol engine is only 156g, and the 150 bhp petrol not that much worse.  And they all appear to be spacious, well-equipped (leather/alcantara on the Oro) and quick.  If they can match or undercut the Italian prices, then this will be a very competitive car indeed.  Thanks Alan, you gave me the impetus to ask the question of my Finance Director, and now it looks as if its back on... Grin

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
westernlancia
Lapsed

Appia S1 - 2006 Turin centenary Car of the Century

« Reply #26 on: 12 June, 2008, 05:21:41 PM »

Great car, and I can't wait until they are available for 50 quid in 15 years time like all the others I have parked outside (that's when I will be buying one). But I can't help feeling they are an answer to a question no-one had asked (''please can I have a 5-door hatchback with a name I have forgotten, from a manufacturer I have only vaguely heard of, mainly in connection with rust?''). And why on EARTH aren't they 3 doors and/or named 'Integrale'? But really they should have made the Fulvietta and/or an upmarket soft-roader (I don't like those either, but unfortunately Joe Public does!). Another Lancia marketing disaster to add to the squillions they have already made!

00 Lancia Y Elefantino Rosso, 96 Lancia Y 1.2, 84 VW Golf GTi, 66 VW Splitscreen, 56 Ford Anglia, 56 Lancia Appia S1, 54 Ford Prefect, 54 Lancia Appia S1, 37 Terraplane, lovely old trailer, 10,000 vintage accessories
oldcaraccessories.com
fensaddler
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #27 on: 12 June, 2008, 06:31:57 PM »

Its hardly a marketing disaster...  Is the Ypsi a marketing disaster, or the Musa?  Its a five door, premium hatch - its a big chunk of the market, and a lucrative one, and Lancia need to be there.  The car is fantastic, and as good or better than anything offered by competitors, whilst also offering something different in terms of image and style.  The product is good enough, the real risk in this country is the dealer network, which needs to match the product, and the aspirations and expectations of the people who will buy it.

I'm loving that you tube video BTW Lee - any idea what the music is, because I rather like it...

Chris Owen
1987 Delta 1.3LX
Alan Temple

« Reply #28 on: 12 June, 2008, 07:22:45 PM »

Great car, and I can't wait until they are available for 50 quid in 15 years time like all the others I have parked outside (that's when I will be buying one). But I can't help feeling they are an answer to a question no-one had asked (''please can I have a 5-door hatchback with a name I have forgotten, from a manufacturer I have only vaguely heard of, mainly in connection with rust?''). And why on EARTH aren't they 3 doors and/or named 'Integrale'? But really they should have made the Fulvietta and/or an upmarket soft-roader (I don't like those either, but unfortunately Joe Public does!). Another Lancia marketing disaster to add to the squillions they have already made!

You are missing the point with the Delta. It's a 21st Century car and a cross between a C - D segment car.

Read my post again, especially the end bits from the CEO's mouth, I'll reiterate the Fulvia one you missed

LANCIA ARE MAKING THE FULVIA CONCEPT. IT WILL BE PRESENTED AT THE GENEVA SHOW 2009!
Alan Temple

« Reply #29 on: 12 June, 2008, 07:29:45 PM »

Thanks Alan,
Nice to have an objective opinion.

Your feelings about the 1.4 T Jet very much reflect my own opinion of the same engine in the New Fiat Bravo, I was astounded at the performance and couldn't believe how good that 6 speed gearbox is.

Brian
8227 Cool

Cheers Brian. Not driven the Bravo but might see if I can get a go to compare the two. The 6 speed gearbox is excellent but the throw is a little too long on the changes IMO, plus when pressing on around the bends the seats could be a bit more grippy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd