Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
21 January, 2020, 01:52:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lambda....the journey begins!  (Read 2020 times)
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #45 on: 14 January, 2020, 07:17:55 PM »

Ha Simon, I know the feeling, and the other half was scratching underbody coating of and out Beta wheel arches and off undersides.....

Ok the machines...I used two to get the gearbox housing clean:

First the RVS unpainted one on the right, this is an Italian made High pressure parts washer.  I used one briefly at an engine shop a couple off years ago and was very impressed.  It uses 80bar pressure, warm (50C) water and soap solution.  The soap is deliverd by the suplier of the machine.  It gets of quit a lot of dirt, but like in case off the very polluted gearbox not everything.  Big advantage is that you use water ans soap, and that since I installed an oil water separator on the sewage of the workshop, the used water can go down the drain...it became more and more difficult to get rid of used degreasing agents, which was one of the reasons I bought this machine.  The biggest disadvantage is that the water needs to get hot.  It contains 90 liters of water, and the greedy Italians installed a 2700 Watt heating element in the machine. (like a domestic thee water heater....)  This then takes about forever to heat up....the suplier commented that it should be left on day and night, which is maybe ok if one uses it daily, but if used, like here once every two weeks or so it would be very uneconomical.  So a couple of weeks ago I installed a home made 12Kw heater and a circulation pump (heater is an long 3Fase resistor installed in a 2" piece of Pipe) and now it gets to 50 in 20 minutes...warranty is now void....

The green machine on the left is a dutch built Henkel wet blasting cabinet.  It uses a mixture of glass beads (same as for dry blasting) and water. This is what gives the aluminium the beautiful finish.  It constantly stirrs the mixture by blowing compressed air in it, and an air driven membrane pump pumps the mixture to the gun, where the mixture is accelerated using more compressed air.  (big compressor needed...)
The cabinet is also completely in RVS and these things really cost a fortune new, but my constantly keeping an eye out on used equipment sites payed of and I got it for very reasonable money.
The disadvantage is one needs to rinse off very very carfully after the wet blasting as one does not want glass beads in an engine....hence I'm now preparing the aurelia block by making plates to completely close the block and will blast it only on the outside, to avoid getting glass into any oil channels.
The advantage over dry blasting with glass is that in the wet machine one closes the pores (is that a good word?) instead of opining them up, and dirty fingers will wipe of easy on wet blasted alu...
But it looks soo clean that is seems the parts are painted with silver paint...

Some pics below of the both of them, and some of the alu parts to be welded to the brake pulley boxes....

* P1100115.JPG (172.26 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 4 times.)

* P1100116.JPG (152.97 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 3 times.)

* P1100118.JPG (183.77 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 3 times.)

* P1100111.JPG (264.36 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 2 times.)

* P1100114.JPG (182.59 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 2 times.)
« Last Edit: 18 January, 2020, 09:32:00 PM by Dikappa » Logged
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #46 on: 18 January, 2020, 09:37:28 PM »

I received a video today of the engine running, it is ready for pickup so we'll visit Turin in a week or so!
Can't post the video here sadly.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2018 Lancia Motor Club Ltd