Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
16 October, 2019, 08:57:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I said I would never buy another Aurelia.........  (Read 1387 times)
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #30 on: 03 October, 2019, 07:09:19 AM »

A very logical set of questions Sebastien.
At the moment ( and this may change) my aim is to get the car back on the road in as close as possible to original condition and specification and then modify as and when is necessary or required.
The car has come to me with a full set of new white metal bearings and big ends ( and  pistons, liners, camshaft, timing gears etc) which match the crankshaft. Whilst the original cylinder heads were ruined under the previous owner ( hence the B12 heads) the general condition of the body, interior, transaxle gears and engine components lead me to believe the car itself has not done a huge mileage and therefore I am happy to use the original conrods.
The only difference with the B12 cylinder heads ( which had never previously been skimmed) from B21  is slightly larger inlet valves and the amount of metal removed in the block and head skimming was minimal so the compression ratio increase will be slight.
I now have a Solex 35PAAI ( in rather poor condition but probably saveable) and the only other decision is whether to use the new camshaft which came with the car or one of 'my' slightly sportier cams.
Regarding the oil pump and oil filter, I have fitted 'spin-off' full flow modern conversions to all our Aurelias so I will do the same with this engine and I will be fitting a later oil pump in good condition.

I hope that by building the engine carefully, we end up with a capable car which is perfectly happy in modern traffic including autostradas but if that isn't the case I then have the option of fitting a 2.5l engine and a B12 transaxle (and probably 4th Srs B20 front brakes at the same time).
(Our 1st series B20 has its original standard engine rated at 70 bhp but with one of 'my' camshafts and that goes along very nicely in modern traffic so I hope the B21S engine rated originally at 75 bhp will be OK with my camshaft, a larger carb and better breathing).
Bear in mind the car is effectively undergoing almost a total rebuild there is a strong argument for keeping things as original as possible, certainly to begin with, as to go away from standard would inevitably lengthen the time scale and I really want the car on the road in 2020.

Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #31 on: 03 October, 2019, 07:43:45 AM »

Those front wings look like new, great only localised issue at base of A pillar, things coming along nicely, as ever Chris sterling work.

P

Frank Gallagher
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #32 on: 03 October, 2019, 08:04:27 AM »

Found a sample with code attached, I think it was from Elvizio some years ago, cross reference with a code you have?

P

* IMG_20191003_084758 1.jpg (2806.62 KB, 2976x3968 - viewed 5 times.)

Frank Gallagher
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #33 on: 03 October, 2019, 05:28:23 PM »

I have a sample of that colour Frank but its beige and I am trying to get an equivalent darkish brown.
Thanks anyway.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #34 on: 03 October, 2019, 05:35:04 PM »

I have a sample of that colour Frank but its beige and I am trying to get an equivalent darkish brown.
Thanks anyway.
Chris

Chris, this is dark brown... honest!!

P

Frank Gallagher
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #35 on: 03 October, 2019, 07:44:05 PM »

I have a 35PAAI in pieces so may be able to help with bits if you need any to repair yours. e-mail on f.tierney@btinternet.com if you do as I only get a few minutes access to the forum at any time.
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #36 on: 04 October, 2019, 08:16:20 AM »

I have a 35PAAI in pieces so may be able to help with bits if you need any to repair yours. e-mail on f.tierney@btinternet.com if you do as I only get a few minutes access to the forum at any time.
Sent you a pm Frank. Thanks for your offer of help.
Chris

Chris Gawne
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #37 on: 04 October, 2019, 08:18:38 AM »

Thanks anyway.
Chris

Chris, this is dark brown... honest!!

P
You are correct Frank. Apologies. Each day I feel as if I am getting closer to getting the colour of wool cloth I want .but by golly the Italian domestic Post service takes an age!
Chris

Chris Gawne
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #38 on: 08 October, 2019, 05:13:32 PM »

Well, I finally received another sample of wool and matching leathercloth today ( with a note from the potential supplier telling me it isnt correct for a B21S and enclosing beige samples which they say are the correct ones!).
My initial impression was that if the car was trimmed in 'my choice' samples it might seem a little too dark and sombre.....and then I referred to samples taken from my car which had NOT been exposed to sunlight and they are even darker.
You can see this clearly in the attached photos - one in room lighting and one under an anglepoise - but we are very happy with the colours and think it will be very period and yet quite luxurious with the black paint of the car.
By the way Frank, the colour sample you posted is not currently available with no plans to re-manufacture.
Chris

* Interior trim 1.jpg (111.79 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 4 times.)

* interior trim 2.jpg (84.36 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 4 times.)

Chris Gawne
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #39 on: 08 October, 2019, 05:28:24 PM »

Just a brief update on things mechanical.
The original oil pump shows no sign of wear so I will reuse that.
The car came with its original camshaft ( which shows no sign of wear) and also a brand new one from Cavalitto. On examination, whilst the lobes look very different on each cam, the 'lift' on each cam is the same @ just over 5mm and the valve timing looks the same on each camshaft. Cavalitto's cam has a more rounded lobe so the valves would open slightly earlier and for longer.
About 20 years ago I had 8 'fast road' camshafts made by what had been Holbay and these had higher lift @ 5.6mm and different valve timing. I have one left having used all the others successfully in other engines so I will use this for the B21 as ideally I want a little extra power - maybe around 7 or 8 bhp which will come from the B12 heads, the camshaft and a Solex PAAI carburettor.
I have rebuilt the B12 heads yesterday and today with new valves, springs and guides having dropped a clanger last week thinking that the valves guides I had on the shelf would fit.
B12 exhaust valve guides are unique!!! Cavalitto saved the day with an order at 7pm last Thursday which turned up yesterday morning.
One of the B12 inlet manifolds has needed external weld repairs to a frost crack so there is a little work needed on the welds to get the nuts and washers to seat. Neither inlet manifold has any corrosion I am pleased to say.
So when I next get time, I will be fitting new liners, pistons, big ends and main bearings ( all white metal)  and crank....but not for a couple of weeks or so.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2018 Lancia Motor Club Ltd