Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 08:28:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B20 Basic maintenance  (Read 2257 times)
GG
Megaposter

« Reply #15 on: 30 November, 2023, 06:51:46 PM »

Hello Aurelia owners!

Like Tim, I'm new to B20 ownership (be gentle!) and I've recently joined the club.

'My' car is WPD10 which is fairly well known in the club I think.  Actually - 'ownership' sounds a bit overblown in this case. I've taken it on after my dad John passed away last year. Really I consider it to be my dad's car and that I'm just looking after it so I want to do a decent job!

My first job for winter is fluid and lubrication check/replacement but otherwise it's in pretty good fettle in the short term.

First basic question - hence the use of this thread - can anyone recommend an antifreeze? My dad left a lot of notes about the car (some of it researching suitable antifreeze types) but I can't find his conclusion. Is there something specific to use that will inhibit corrosion? Or just some general good quality stuff?

Anyway - I look forward to B20 disucssions - and thanks in advance,

Alex.

Alex -

As you well know, your father was a good friend to me, and tutored me on many engineering subjects, of which crankshaft design was only one. His restoration of the now "family" B20 was exemplary, and you are very lucky to have such a fine example.

If there is anything you need help with, feel free to ask.

Geoff

B20 s.2, Appia C10, Flavia 2000
cundyalex

« Reply #16 on: 30 November, 2023, 08:07:36 PM »

Hi Tim

I knew and respected your Dad for his extensive engineering knowledge not restricted to Lancias. We exchanged ideas on such matters of Aurelia suspension (I have a B12), and I was sad to hear he passed.

We did not discuss antifreeze but if we would have done I am not sure we would have agreed but maybe.

Anyway I have found empirically the blue glycol based anti freeze at 50% concentration seems to give protection to corrosion. I use this in my other Lancias as well as my B12. I think, but could be wrong, but blue glycol based is same as Lancia specified  called Paraflu.

Good luck with your custodianship and welcome to LMC!

Tim

Thanks for your kind words Tim, much appreciated! I'll get some of the blue gycol in the car as you suggest. All the best, Alex

B20 S4 and Fulvia S2 Coupe
cundyalex

« Reply #17 on: 30 November, 2023, 08:15:54 PM »

Hello Aurelia owners!

Like Tim, I'm new to B20 ownership (be gentle!) and I've recently joined the club.

'My' car is WPD10 which is fairly well known in the club I think.  Actually - 'ownership' sounds a bit overblown in this case. I've taken it on after my dad John passed away last year. Really I consider it to be my dad's car and that I'm just looking after it so I want to do a decent job!

My first job for winter is fluid and lubrication check/replacement but otherwise it's in pretty good fettle in the short term.

First basic question - hence the use of this thread - can anyone recommend an antifreeze? My dad left a lot of notes about the car (some of it researching suitable antifreeze types) but I can't find his conclusion. Is there something specific to use that will inhibit corrosion? Or just some general good quality stuff?

Anyway - I look forward to B20 disucssions - and thanks in advance,

Alex.

Alex -

As you well know, your father was a good friend to me, and tutored me on many engineering subjects, of which crankshaft design was only one. His restoration of the now "family" B20 was exemplary, and you are very lucky to have such a fine example.

If there is anything you need help with, feel free to ask.

Geoff

Hi Geoff, glad to hear from you and yes I certainly remember when my dad was working through such subjects as crankshaft balancing (and many others) with you, making sure he had everything right and sketched up nicely at each stage. I know he enjoyed those conversations with you veyr much and it certainly kept his brain in good order! I do appreciate how fortunate I am with the car, and intend to make sure it's well looked after and well used.

I'm sure I'll be in touch in due course with more questions!

Thank you.

timdaw

« Reply #18 on: 04 December, 2023, 10:41:09 AM »

Hello Aurelia owners!

Geoff

Hi Geoff, glad to hear from you and yes I certainly remember when my dad was working through such subjects as crankshaft balancing (and many others) with you, making sure he had everything right and sketched up nicely at each stage. I know he enjoyed those conversations with you veyr much and it certainly kept his brain in good order! I do appreciate how fortunate I am with the car, and intend to make sure it's well looked after and well used.

Thank you.

Hello Alex,

How nice to hear that you have taken on the ownership of such a historic B20 from your late father. I remember reading the road test of the car from 1955 when Mike Hawthorn demonstrated it to a journalist, with a rather large Alsatian sat on the back seat! I don't suppose there are any dog hairs left in the car!? It was one of the things that attracted me to B20 ownership. My recently acquired car is my second.

Great to hear that you intend to maintain it and, importantly, use it!

I second the use of Blue antifreeze as being correct for the alloy engine. As with you, the first thing I did when taking on my car was to change all fluids and give all the (many) grease points attention.

There is a guide to the correct oils in the Paul Mayo manual, if they are not in your father's notes. Also, Classic Oils at Bicester are very good on providing information on lubricants for old cars. They do a good range of Penrite engine oils which are of high quality.

Looking forward to seeing the car, and you, next year!

All the best, Tim

Aurelia B20 GT Series III
cundyalex

« Reply #19 on: 05 December, 2023, 09:31:58 PM »

Hello Aurelia owners!

Geoff

Thank you.

Hello Alex,

How nice to hear that you have taken on the ownership of such a historic B20 from your late father. I remember reading the road test of the car from 1955 when Mike Hawthorn demonstrated it to a journalist, with a rather large Alsatian sat on the back seat! I don't suppose there are any dog hairs left in the car!? It was one of the things that attracted me to B20 ownership. My recently acquired car is my second.

Great to hear that you intend to maintain it and, importantly, use it!

I second the use of Blue antifreeze as being correct for the alloy engine. As with you, the first thing I did when taking on my car was to change all fluids and give all the (many) grease points attention.

There is a guide to the correct oils in the Paul Mayo manual, if they are not in your father's notes. Also, Classic Oils at Bicester are very good on providing information on lubricants for old cars. They do a good range of Penrite engine oils which are of high quality.

Looking forward to seeing the car, and you, next year!

All the best, Tim

Thanks Tim, I've got Paul's manual - will refer to that for lube specs. I'm down in Bicester every now and again so thats a good tip.

timdaw

« Reply #20 on: 24 December, 2023, 10:19:20 AM »

As no one answered about how to physically turn the engine easily, I found an answer myself. The answer is the starting handle. Presumably a lot of Aurelia owners will be missing their starter handle as I was. With the kind help of Chris Gawne, I found an anonymous one on ebay (for £18 including postage) that works perfectly. The bar should be 13mm dia and about 600mm (very long) in length to the 1st bend.
The cross pin (which engages the crank pulley ) is 28mm long, end to end, and 6.5mm diameter. I think my one may have been for something like a land rover, it certainly doesn't have to be a very expensive and rare Lancia one. Of course you can only turn the engine clockwise, but then I think that you are not supposed to turn it anti anyway?

Aurelia B20 GT Series III
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd