Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 11:37:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I said I would never buy another Aurelia.........  (Read 34310 times)
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« on: 24 July, 2019, 02:28:02 PM »

……...but we have had such fun bowling around in our B12 this year, particularly when the family were here when we were 6 up with the children in the back singing and waving to locals that I couldn't resist this 1952 B21S. The B12 is such a capable car whether going up and down steep hills 6 up or on the autostrada at 120kph. Quite remarkable really for a 65 year old car and so quiet with the windows closed.

It needs a total restoration both bodily and mechanically so that will keep me quiet for a few months! The good news is that it is virtually 100% complete.
I have a spare rebuilt 2.5l B20 engine which will fit and I also have a rebuilt B12 transaxle and a set of S4 B20 front brakes so I may reassemble using those for a sort of 'Q car' even though everything is there to rebuild as standard.
More photos to follow when it arrives.
Chris 

* B21S.png (663.26 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1409 times.)

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 24 July, 2019, 05:34:51 PM »

Lovely project Chris

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 24 July, 2019, 07:22:11 PM »

Great news, great project, great to see another Berlina being rescued!

P

Frank Gallagher
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #3 on: 24 July, 2019, 10:25:29 PM »

Terrific Chris, a worthy cause, but did you actually say that?
« Last Edit: 24 July, 2019, 10:27:48 PM by williamcorke » Logged

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
impaw
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 26 July, 2019, 06:40:35 PM »

Looks like a nice project!!😎👍

Torstein

1955 Aurelia B20
1966 Fulvia
1966 Fulvia rally/race car
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 27 July, 2019, 12:16:02 PM »

Should keep you busy!

More than a Q-car could even be your rat rod Smiley

Out of interest, with it being nearly 100pct complete, are there particular bits that are often missing and difficult to find or "just" having everything that belongs still happily rubbing along together?

David Laver, Lewisham.
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 04 September, 2019, 03:55:35 PM »

Work is progressing on the body and also the mechanics of this car. I have assured Jacky that the car will be on the road next Spring so its important to keep some momentum.
Photos will follow but briefly the body seems to have little rust and nothing really structural (which is why I bought it apart from the fact that the car was pretty complete albeit disassembled).
The timetable is for the bodywork to be finished around the end of October/November and when it comes back to me, I hope it will be fully retrimmed although I am still having trouble getting a dark enough shade of 'nocciola' wool cloth to my taste.
The engine block has a lot of broken studs and so that is at a local machine shop to hopefully be collected in a couple of weeks. I have opted for deep helicoils where needed. The block itself is in pretty good condition corrosion wise. I will be fitting new pistons, liners, camshaft, main bearinga and big ends all from Cavalitto which I have.
So far the only work I have had a chance to do ( because of our grape harvest, an oil leak from the gearchange rod on our 1st series B20 and a cracked heater hose on the B12 right up on the bulkhead in the passenger compartment) is rebuild the water pump and distributor and generally sort the boxes of bits out..
The original heads were found to be too corroded by the previous owner when they had been finally removed from the block after a struggle and I will be fitting a pair of B12 heads. Slightly larger valves and so I think the original Solex 30 (with no accelerator pump) will be a little unsatisfactory. Ideally I would like to fit a Solex 40 PAAI ( as fitted to B12s) as I like them  but I don't have one so I will try a Weber 40DCL if a Solex doesn't turn up in the meantime.
The transaxle is also in pieces but everything is there so new bearings, oil seals, rebuilt pot joints are the order of the day and this is my next job now on the bench while I am waiting for the engine block.
Chris

Chris Gawne
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 12 September, 2019, 08:29:02 AM »

Early Aurelia saloons (very few of which are now on the road) seem to have been frequently trimmed in 'nocciola' wool cloth which is quite a dark brown colour. I 'think' I am correct in saying that this colour was superseded on B20s by a dark beige colour which is not unattractive but it is significantly lighter and seems to be available from several sources today whereas no-one has any 'nocciola' shade material on the shelf.

This is a shame but the reality is that the car needs a total retrim and having received samples from various suppliers and Aurelia friends, I have failed to find a source of supply for this.
I am therefore getting close to ordering what I think is the next best thing, a darkish beige cloth from Elvezio. This is the colour Elvezio himself used to retrim his B21S https://elvezioblog.wordpress.com/2011/02/25/lancia-aurelia-b-21-del-1950/ 
but the dreaded digital photography comes up with some strange colours.

Anyway attached is a quick photo showing a piece of the original cloth from our car from behind the rear seat armrest top left together with various samples of available cloths (Elvezio EE 14001LB is centre right) and also a dated cotton tag 5th April 1952 from a seat which is a nice thing to have.

I think I will also get the leathercloth for the beading and kickplates from Elvezio when I order.
Chris

* wool samples.jpg (1905.83 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 464 times.)

Chris Gawne
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 12 September, 2019, 08:36:13 AM »

Useful research, who would have thought there could be so much variation in one "shade" of brown wool cloth!

Will dig out my headlining and take a few pics.

P

Frank Gallagher
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 12 September, 2019, 09:40:50 AM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAh_Zk-P4k&feature=youtu.be

Can't remember if this was linked 3/4 years ago but worth a watch again.

Just noted its already linked in the post above.

P
« Last Edit: 12 September, 2019, 10:21:17 AM by Parisien » Logged

Frank Gallagher
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 12 September, 2019, 12:56:47 PM »

Just to clarify, my photo should be rotated clockwise by 90degress to make sense of the words.
What is currently bottom left ( and | said was top left in my post) is what I have in my car and what I want to find but I have had no success at the moment.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 12 September, 2019, 01:27:50 PM »

http://classicandeuropean.com/product/english-wool-union-headlining/

Headlining only.

P

Frank Gallagher
GG
Megaposter

« Reply #12 on: 12 September, 2019, 11:03:33 PM »

Early Aurelia saloons (very few of which are now on the road) seem to have been frequently trimmed in 'nocciola' wool cloth which is quite a dark brown colour. I 'think' I am correct in saying that this colour was superseded on B20s by a dark beige colour which is not unattractive but it is significantly lighter and seems to be available from several sources today whereas no-one has any 'nocciola' shade material on the shelf.

This is a shame but the reality is that the car needs a total retrim and having received samples from various suppliers and Aurelia friends, I have failed to find a source of supply for this.
Chris

Trincero used to sell the nocciolo and the light grey interior cloths. No more?

By the way, you aren't considering the brown Berlina pin-stripe cloth instead? Smiley

B20 s.2, Appia C10, Flavia 2000
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 13 September, 2019, 09:17:23 AM »

The hidden edge of headlining. Ageing nevertheless has taken its toll. The Elvezio B21, as in the link, surely is the correct shade?

P

* B12 resized headlining b.jpg (189.2 KB, 744x992 - viewed 435 times.)

* B12 resized headlining.jpg (154.06 KB, 744x992 - viewed 428 times.)

Frank Gallagher
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 14 September, 2019, 04:55:04 PM »

Frank, According to the text, Elvezio's B21 is dark brown (marrone) which is not apparent from the photos. Therefore the beige wool he used for his retrim- their reference ee 14001LB - is quite possibly equivalent to that originally used.

My black B21S originally had the dark brown wool shown top left (this is unfaded from the rear seat armrest)  and whilst I am not obsessed with originality, I do like this colour. At a casual glance of photos of the interior of my car, it looks as if some parts of the trim can be saved but sadly this is not true so a colour change is possible.
I am persisting with looking for the correct dark brown colour wool fabric as the trimmer wont be starting for a few weeks so there is not too much pressure in the situation just yet.

* B21S 4.jpg (241.38 KB, 1280x853 - viewed 451 times.)

* wool samples 2a.jpg (73.35 KB, 576x768 - viewed 1055 times.)

Chris Gawne
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd