Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:36:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fitting a new headliner  (Read 2667 times)
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« on: 05 May, 2019, 03:34:18 PM »

When I get back to the UK next month I値l start fitting the new headliner to my Series 2 Fulvia Coupe.  I知 trying to do as much of the work myself rather than farm it out.  I致e been detailing my overall progress on the rebuild in the Fulvia forum but as (I assume) the headlining process is fairly generic I thought I壇 post here in General Chat instead for advice.

The roof is stripped and the old headliner and sound deadening material have been removed.  The body shell has been painted and the metal rods that hold the headliner in place have been de-rusted and painted.  I have bought a new headlining kit with pockets to take the rods. 

My first question is can anybody recommend a suitable material for sound deadening the roof?

Reading up on various websites and forums it looks like the process of fitting the new headlining involves sliding the rods into the pockets and fitting them in place in the plastic cups either side of the roof, then attaching the retaining linkage bars that keep the end cross-bars in position and the headliner taught lengthwise.

I will then need to tension the headliner around the edges before gluing it around the periphery. This looks like being the trickiest part of the entire process.  One blog on an Alfa forum recommends using a few dozen bulldog clips (sometimes called binder clips) to temporarily hold the edges in place before gluing.  When I disassembled the car there were metal retention spring clips at the top of the windscreen aperture only, and I will re-fit these.  I致e seen one rebuild where the trim shop has fitted supposedly permanent metal retaining clips around the entire periphery.  I知 not sure that the rubber surround channel for the door openings would fit in place with permanent metal clips there so I will use the bulldog clip and glue approach instead. 

The headliner kit came with separate patches of material for the A and C pillars so I値l have to see if my old headliner can be used as a template for these, and will have to find some sort of padding to go behind the pillar sections.  Any suggestions as to what to use?

Omicron recommended the use of Alpha adhesive for gluing the headliner edges .  This is a contact adhesive that apparently allows some re-positioning.

Any hints and tips, or pointers to useful fora or websites would be gratefully received!  Also, if anybody can advise on treatment for the B pillars that would be appreciated.  The old headliner did not cover these in my car and I think they may have been painted, though I do not have access to the car at the moment to check.

* IMG_1397 copy.JPG (928.61 KB, 2634x2100 - viewed 337 times.)

* IMG_1382 copy.JPG (624.35 KB, 1701x1276 - viewed 337 times.)

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2019, 08:21:46 PM »

Norman,
During my 24 years at Vauxhall Motors I saw head linings being fitted to many models, or at least until these were replaced by panels.
The rods are called list rods.
The headlining was stretched and fixed with adhesive around the apertures, then a thin tube was inserted between the headlining and the roof, steam was injected, I assume to shrink and tension the headlining, the the rubber seals and the glass was then fitted.
Hope this helps.
Brian
 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2019, 08:26:21 PM »

I will be watching with interest because I have a new headlining to fit as well .....

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 05 May, 2019, 10:57:44 PM »

Just watched this on Youtube, it's on an American car with a huge headlining, but basically this is how I remember it apart from them using a hair dryer to get the wrinkles out, rather than using steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHuuWYq6ufo

There are two parts and this is part 2, part one shows preparation and how to apply the adhesive, worth watching as well.
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2019, 10:42:36 AM »

Thanks for the link Brian. I think I've researched enough now to have a go!  The YouTube clip you gave me reinforced the suggestion to use binder clips (similar to bulldog clips) to keep the headliner taught before gluing so I'll buy 50 or so of these.  They don't cost much.   

I've been recommended by Omicron to use Alpha S 1358 impact adhesive which has high heat resistance as the roof can be subject to high temperatures. 

I've received no recommendations for sound proofing of the roof.  Researching options on Google and looking at some old Forum threads, I've decided to apply 2mm butyl mat, which I値l also use on the floor of the car.  I値l then overlay (on the roof only) a sheet of 10mm closed cell foam. 

The 2mm mat is similar to the Dynamat that is highly recommended but is expensive at around 」4 per square foot.  I知 looking at Noico Black on Amazon and SilentCoat from the Sound Deadening Shop both of which get good feedback and are half the price. 

I値l get the materials ordered so that I can make a start when I get back to the UK mid June. 

Simon, I値l be sure to post plenty of pictures!

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd