Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 01:29:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prisma brake issues  (Read 3821 times)
Iggy65
Lapsed

« on: 13 March, 2019, 08:40:48 PM »

The rear brakes on my Prisma have always seemed a bit temperamental especially in winter. I sensed some greater problems last week with brakes binding and duly found the rear left caliper badly seized. With no replacement available, have bitten the bullet and sent both calipers to Brake Engineering, Wrexham for refurbishment. Will then have new discs and pads fitted along with new handbrake cable.
Does anyone have any tips for keeping the calipers in good order once this work is done?
lancianut666
Permanent resident

Slow but rough

« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2019, 09:08:37 AM »

regular use seems to help... the rear brakes don't have much to do on a FWD car especially if a limiter is fitted. My Prisma had very soft front springs so the back end rode very high so the back brakes probably did nothing to earn their keep. I changed the front springs and shocks and noticed a considerable improvement in the braking as the car rode more level. If the calipers are the wind out type it might be worth stripping them and winding them in and out every 6 months or so.
Clarkey

Fulvia Coupe S2 Flavia Coupe 1967 1.8 Kugelfischer Prisma 1.6 carb Y10 Fila Y10 Touring Dedra 1.8 Dedra 2.0 Turbo Appia S1
Mikenoangelo
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2019, 11:42:44 AM »

Brake hard a couple of times a week to make sure the back brakes know how to do their share! For cars which are not used every day disc corrosion is a severe problem leading to pitting and deep rust. Hard braking helps to keep the discs bright.

Mike
Iggy65
Lapsed

« Reply #3 on: 14 March, 2019, 08:18:32 PM »

Thanks Clarkey and Mike for the tips. Will make sure I do some hard braking when I get the new calipers fitted! I don't think my car has the same issue with the front springs. It sits pretty level back and front and brake effectiveness is good. Ian
HF_Dave
Megaposter

Rust , What Rust !! I don't See any rust !!!

« Reply #4 on: 15 March, 2019, 04:36:42 PM »

when New or re-furbished callipers are fitted  you need to slacken off the handbrake cable , turn on the engine and pump the pedal hard , this action pushes the piston fully out to the disc . Then tighten the cable up . I found that doing this once or twice a year helps to force out the piston and keep the hand brake working fully . Thanks David 

My Current Cars:

1991 Thema station wagon
1989 Thema 16v
2011 Lancia Delta 3

1977 Beta sedan 2000
1975 Fulvia S3 1.3
1973 Flavia HF 2000 Coupe
1972 Fulvia S2 1.3
1989 Thema 8.32
**Other Makes**
2018 Alfa Giulia
1999 Alfa 156
2009 Fiat Du
Iggy65
Lapsed

« Reply #5 on: 15 March, 2019, 07:12:59 PM »

Thanks David. Was expecting to get the car back on the road today but it seems there has been some misunderstanding over the caliper refurb and they will not now be finished until next week! Will certainly follow these useful tips in future. Ian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd