Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 03:30:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Front suspension sorted.  (Read 2587 times)
Caracad

« on: 29 March, 2019, 07:38:13 PM »

Finally had the front spring out and the upper and lower wishbones off.
I bought a second hand series 1 front spring, my series 3 Coupe has always ridden high and one side was higher than the other.
Stripped and rebuilt the replacement spring with new interleaf material from Omicron. I also cut out sections of this to reduce the contact area.
I bought new lower wishbone bushes in advance, not knowing what condition they were in.
The old ones actually seemed fine but fitted the new bushes anyway.
Anyway all back together and took it out for a drive.
Well, the car is transformed. I love my Fulvia, rating it’s engine, steering/handling, gearbox and beauty but not it’s ride. It would crash and bang down the road, making long journeys tiring, and generally being harsh and uncomfortable.
Now it is wonderful. Just how I hoped it would be. Tight and controlled but quiet and smooth as well.
Don’t know whether it was was the new spring, or bushes or both.
Dampers are still the Bilstein B6s I fitted a couple of months ago. They are expensive but good. Same technology as the original DeCarbons.
I should also say I have removed a leaf from the rear springs. This definitely made a difference. Maybe I should try series 1 springs on the back as well.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2019, 01:27:38 PM »

Brilliant news!!!

Couple of questions - could you expand on "I also cut out sections of this to reduce the contact area" and describe what the inter-leaf material is like.

David Laver, Lewisham.
Caracad

« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2019, 02:15:02 PM »

So the interleaf material is just a black plastic. Could be PP (polypropylene) cheap stuff, or possibly a nylon.
I cut out rectangular windows along the length. Not very scientific, just thought that reducing the contact area would reduce friction between the leaves.

Would pay good money for someone to design and make parabolic springs, or even better, fibreglass.
Both these have no internal friction.
KeithWade

« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2019, 08:04:47 AM »

Pleased for you......

My Fulvia had the fuel tank enlarged years ago by a previous owner to 50L. When my late father rebuilt the car I always felt like it looked a bit 'soggy bottomed' compared with the front but the ride was OK.
I put some of this down to the extra weight of fuel and obviously the age of the springs. I dismantled both springs and using some spares to make additional leaves of naturally progressive sizes. I now have nine separate leaves on each side at the rear, properly fastened with correct straps and slightly longer central locating screws. Looks perfect now and the ride and handling are much better too. To complete the improvement I invested in some new Michelin XAS tyres inflated at 25 psi. Another significant improvement in handling...couldn't believe the difference! The Fulvia (like all Lancias I guess) definitely deserves to run at optimum handling performance.....Brilliant little car.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd