Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 07:12:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1973 Fulvia Coupe Horn  (Read 6447 times)
KeithWade

« on: 05 March, 2019, 05:33:16 PM »

Probably going over old ground here but just can't seem to get the horn operating. Someone once said that the more puzzling a problem is the more simple the solution is likely to be!

I've carried out all the usual tests and checks for operation and continuity and the various components seem fine.

Just wondered if anyone can point me in the likely location of the earthing point from the horn button (steering column somewhere?) ? The black wire I believe......

I haven't quite pulled all of my hair out yet!!
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2019, 06:00:53 PM »

Have a look at the horn relay located on the upper front inner wing. Connector could be dirty or relay contacts need cleaning. Lancia Relay tin can can be easily opened up....

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
KeithWade

« Reply #2 on: 06 March, 2019, 10:54:38 AM »

OK I will do that...thanks.

Would still love to find the earthing point for the horn though if anyone has any suggestions........?
Brian Long

Aurelia B12, Flavia 2000 Coupe

« Reply #3 on: 06 March, 2019, 11:43:16 AM »

Have you checked whether the small carbon brush is contacting the brass ring on the back of the steering wheel boss?
Brian
KeithWade

« Reply #4 on: 07 March, 2019, 11:07:17 AM »

Hi Brian

Yes.. in fact I fitted a new (Omicron supplied) one and spring and there is definitely contact. In fact you can hear it slightly as you turn the wheel........
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 07 March, 2019, 11:09:35 AM »

I am not sure whether your horn contact on the steering box is the same as that on a S1 but it might be worth checking the contacts down there with a testmeter.
Chris 

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
KeithWade

« Reply #6 on: 07 March, 2019, 11:20:35 AM »

Oh OK Chris..the steering box you say? Is this an earth then?
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 07 March, 2019, 12:29:06 PM »

I am not sure whether your horn contact on the steering box is the same as that on a S1 but it might be worth checking the contacts down there with a testmeter.
Chris 
S1 is very different to S2 and there is a black wire from the back of the earthing plate in the steering wheel that goes to a 4 way junction block and then on to the horn relay. It should be easy to localy earth the “1” terminal on the horn relay to see if the relay activates (I think the ignition needs to be on). The relay is supplied “2” by fuse 9 for the horns and “3” on the relay is the live side of the relay coil (fuse 7 always live).

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
KeithWade

« Reply #8 on: 07 March, 2019, 04:47:14 PM »

Ok thanks for the suggestion.

I will try this and report back.......
KeithWade

« Reply #9 on: 02 May, 2019, 07:50:47 AM »

Well..this puzzle continues. The problem is definitely earth related at the horn push end it seems. The horn operates successfully with the ignition on if I run a test wire from the earth terminal on the horn relay to a separate earth in the front wing. It also operates successfully with ignition on if I run the wire from the earth terminal on the relay to the centre steering wheel spline so the steering column is earthed it would seem. So the issue is clearly with 'upstream' earth wiring from the relay to the brass horn contact or with the horn operating button gear. I have replaced the earth wire between the contact ring and the orange terminal block as when I checked this the copper wire was badly corroded at the contact ring end. Thought this was the issue but still no joy sadly.

* IMG_4045.JPG (960.09 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 371 times.)

* IMG_4047.JPG (793.33 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 367 times.)
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 02 May, 2019, 04:15:48 PM »

Well..this puzzle continues. The problem is definitely earth related at the horn push end it seems. The horn operates successfully with the ignition on if I run a test wire from the earth terminal on the horn relay to a separate earth in the front wing. It also operates successfully with ignition on if I run the wire from the earth terminal on the relay to the centre steering wheel spline so the steering column is earthed it would seem. So the issue is clearly with 'upstream' earth wiring from the relay to the brass horn contact or with the horn operating button gear. I have replaced the earth wire between the contact ring and the orange terminal block as when I checked this the copper wire was badly corroded at the contact ring end. Thought this was the issue but still no joy sadly.
What about the horn contact and slip ring at the bottom of the steering column and the flexible coupling?
Brian
8227  Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
KeithWade

« Reply #11 on: 03 May, 2019, 05:48:24 AM »

Ahh.... puzzle solved Brian! The actual fault causing the failure was the corroded connection. The continuing puzzle was down to a coating of clear laquer. While trying to address this issue I swopped the original steering wheel for a more substantial Flavia one but had to clean off some old black paint from the spokes. After getting it to bare metal I decided to laquer it and must have also sprayed the centre of the wheel without thinking. This has caused insulation between the bare metal and the brass horn spring hence no ground! Happy days......Thanks for your suggestions though and continued interest.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 03 May, 2019, 06:49:00 PM »

Ahh.... puzzle solved Brian! The actual fault causing the failure was the corroded connection. The continuing puzzle was down to a coating of clear laquer. While trying to address this issue I swopped the original steering wheel for a more substantial Flavia one but had to clean off some old black paint from the spokes. After getting it to bare metal I decided to laquer it and must have also sprayed the centre of the wheel without thinking. This has caused insulation between the bare metal and the brass horn spring hence no ground! Happy days......Thanks for your suggestions though and continued interest.
Your welcome Kevin, pleased you've sorted the problem, keep up the good work.
Brian
8227  Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd