Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 07:41:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sliding Pillars - an Idiot's guide .....  (Read 3057 times)
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« on: 06 December, 2018, 07:11:48 PM »

I am currently writing an "Idiot's Guide to Appia Front Suspension" for the Consortium and would like to add some data on wear limits for the upper and lower guides

I have some new, tolerance data from Clive Beattie, but nothing on the maximum acceptable wear

In some ways it's a personal thing - how much clatter you (or your MOT-person ?) can put up with.....but I would like a quotable source if possible

I am asking about Appias, but I think it will be very similar for all sliding pillars. Does anyone have any Lancia figures ?

Thanks

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Scott
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 09 December, 2018, 09:21:41 AM »

With no response to your request I thought I'd spend a chunk of time on the interweb seeing if I could track down any information for you.

I came across lots of general interesting information (e.g. https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/group/history/Documents/Lancia_A_story_of_technological_innovation_in_the_car_industry.pdf), manuals* (e.g. http://www.clublanciaappia.it/wp/?page_id=175) and folk who had rebuilt suspension (e.g. http://www.sportscarshop.com/lancia-appia-zagato-front-suspension-rebuild/) but sadly no figures for wear limits included in any of the many many pages I looked at. Drat!  Undecided

[*One thing I noted was that on this manuals page there is a Riparazioni manual where the first contents page shows nine clear section 00 through 08. This is not the entire manual however as section 04 should cover front suspension but is not included. However as presumably a 'common' document for Appia owners this would already have been discounted as a source of the information you're after].

Hopefully an Appia / sliding pillar expert can come up with something you can cite.
« Last Edit: 09 December, 2018, 09:38:19 AM by Scott » Logged
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 09 December, 2018, 10:00:28 AM »

Thanks Scott
I hadn't seen the Appia Zagato rebuild pictures, they didn't show much of the process or tools used but did use some great photos of the parts as they came to pieces.
My guide is more practical and I would like to add data if I can find it ......the repair shop manual is useful and has spring data, for example, but no wear or set up information for the guides

The English translation is "interesting" and not always easy to follow, unless you have already dismantled a unit - bit late !

Thanks again

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 09 December, 2018, 10:46:25 AM »

From my experience with my B12 SP I wanted to work out where the front suspension clonking came from and found one side there was no discernible play when rocking the front wheel in the vertical plane but the other side showed some play equivalent to a worn front wheel bearing. The wheel bearing was not to blame, and on stripping the sliding pillar the bottom "vertical bearing" had some play in the guide tube. As that guide tube showed no play when slid up the bottom bearing of the other side I bought a new bottom bearing ( https://www.oldlanciaspares.com/508-lancia-AURELIAA-ricambio-estremita-inf-sosp-ant.php) from Cavalitto and problem solved. I can say that while I did not measure the play, it was not excessive. So my thoughts are if you can detect play in the vertical plane its time to renew.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator