Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:29:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I finally have a Fulvia!  (Read 44756 times)
IanC

« on: 18 November, 2018, 04:21:43 PM »

Hi, better introduce myself, my new car and ask for some advice.  My names is Ian, a long standing car enthusiast, and I have wanted a Fulvia since I was young.  I had a poster of a works car on the Monte Carlo rally when I was young and the beautiful, elegant shape is ingrained in my mind.  Guess you all get that.
The only thing stopping, or delaying, me from getting one is a 20 year love affair with an old 911.  However, this year a great opportunity presented and I finally bought my Fulvia and then had to figure out how to tell the long haired bank manager about it.  We got over that fairly quickly when she saw it and later said she might quite like to drive it, something she has never said about the 911.
It is a '73 Series 2 1.3S in red with a cream vinyl interior.  Nothing special in the big scheme of things but achingly beautiful. 
The car has been sitting in a show room for 17 years and has not run in that time.  It seems very complete and standard, apart from a fibre glass bonnet which was explained by the garage. 
My plan is to give it a thorough service, including the brakes, drawing and flus( the fuel system, fit electronic ignition and drive it once it has been through MoT.  This will just be a sanity check that all is well as the car is exempt.
Three questions for now please;
I have noticed Lumenition and 123 seem to be the readily available ones.  Could I please get views/facts on which one to go for
The brake fluid reservoir seems to have a weep/seep around the ring of bolts holding the plastic tank to the metal body.  Is this a simple gasket change and if so from where?
Finally (for now) I see a few people have fitted a Filter King, I assume to improve fuel filtration.  Is this the best option?
Look forward to your responses

Thank you

Ian
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 18 November, 2018, 05:20:17 PM »

I fitted a Filter King to follow the electric fuel pump I installed in the boot to obviate the necessity to churn the engine for half a minute to pump fuel through the mechanical pump and up to the carbs.  The Filter King is then used to regulate fuel pressure (though it is possible to find low pressure pumps suitable for carbs).     I would suggest an inline filter as well, before the pump, as the fuel tank is likely to be pretty mucky.    Make friends with Omicron who will give very good advice (as well as selling you expensive but good quality spares including some made from unobtanium).
You may be lucky enough to have unworn carbs but many leak around the spindles and need to be rebushed (Omicron) in order to get a steady tickover.    I would suspect the accelerator pump diaphragms as well as the rubber carb mount.    There should be a support to stop the carbs from waggling around but the rubber is still liable to harden and crack.     Also, increase the "slow" running jets from 50 to 60 to cope with modern petrol and run it always on super grade of at least 96 octane (Tesco do 99 octane which seems to work especially well).   I wish I had had a fibreglass bonnet incdentally!
Don't forget to fit a complete set of new tyres, the ones on it will be iron hard and have zero grip (Sorry, Grandmother, eggs).
Yes, brake fluid reservoir is simple gasket (so far as I remember).   See various threads about vacuum servo and study the technical information thread.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
IanC

« Reply #2 on: 18 November, 2018, 05:36:05 PM »

Excellent, some good advice here, thank you David.  I had planned on changing the tyres for the reason you state.  Are there any recommended ones?
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 18 November, 2018, 06:54:11 PM »

Re gasket change on the master cylindre, take care with the small allen bolts holding the plastic cover on, they can corrode horribly due to steel/al electrolytic action. If you shear one then it will be a pain to drill out and replace it/them - may then involve removing the m/c - and that is best avoided unless absolutely necessary

Soak well in your favourite un-seizing (dégrippant) liquid beforehand

Re ignition - consider the keeping the standard set up, it is very reliable in my opinion. I had an intermittent fault that was difficult to identify and was eventually traced back to the electronic ignition

Welcome to Fulvia motoring !

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
IanC

« Reply #4 on: 18 November, 2018, 07:38:27 PM »

Thanks Simon, useful tip on the MC and I’ve got some Wurth penetrating oil which is quite good.  It’s good to know that the points are not all bad, but I think ive convinced myself there is likely more trouble in points than electronic ignition.  I will continue to canvass option for a short while though.

Any more thoughts and recommendations?

Thank you

Ian
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 18 November, 2018, 08:09:19 PM »

Thanks Simon, useful tip on the MC and I’ve got some Wurth penetrating oil which is quite good.  It’s good to know that the points are not all bad, but I think ive convinced myself there is likely more trouble in points than electronic ignition.  I will continue to canvass option for a short while though.

Any more thoughts and recommendations?

Thank you

Ian
A number of years ago  I fitted a simple ignition unit that just uses the points as a switch, while all the load is taken by the electronic unit.
Only failed me once in that time, which was down to something I did.
Because the points don't wear, once the initial wear of the heel has taken place and you've readjusted the points, I haven't had to reset mine for years, just check them every now and again
Brian
 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
IanC

« Reply #6 on: 18 November, 2018, 08:41:11 PM »

Thanks for this Brian, so we seem to have more votes for points at the moment.  Interesting!
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 18 November, 2018, 08:52:59 PM »

The master-cylinder to reservoir seal is a large rubber 'o' ring that sits in a groove in the plastic reservoir. If you can't find one to fit, I think I have one spare.
Colin
IanC

« Reply #8 on: 18 November, 2018, 08:58:46 PM »

Thanks Colin, I will bear that in mind if I struggle to find one.  Much appreciated.

Regards

Ian
rogerelias
Rebel Poster

MY 1600HF IN HEARTBEAT GARAGE

« Reply #9 on: 18 November, 2018, 10:22:29 PM »

Welcome to Fulvia ownership, you will love it.Re points versus electronic, I have stayed with points,on my 1600HF and have never had a problem, I just keep a spare set and a condensor in the car,as a just in case moment. Tyres ,I am running Firestone, but mine are a different size to yours. One last bit of advice, ENJOY

FULVIA 1600HF LUSSO
1958 VELOCETTE MAC
Triumph Bonneville t120v 1972
1968 MGC ROADSTER
1958 Series 2 Appia berlina
IanC

« Reply #10 on: 19 November, 2018, 07:25:46 AM »

Thanks Roger and I do hope to enjoy it once it’s running, especially having read a few test reports
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:45:36 AM »

I will have owned my 1971 1.3S for 25 years tomorrow. I still can't think of another car I'd rather have when it comes to looks, performance, handling, visibility, boot space, cheap insurance etc. There are a handful that always attract my attention like the Alpine 110, Alfa Bertone coupes etc but the 110 would be a squeeze for me at 6' 1" and no practical boot space (and huge prices now). As far as the others are concerned, I wouldn't risk any disappointment. A case of the devil I know. For the money, a Fulvia is still the best engineered sports car around (I'm biased). You'll really enjoy yours once it's sorted.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
IanC

« Reply #12 on: 19 November, 2018, 07:37:43 PM »

Thanks Stanley.  I’ve had my 911 20 years and echo everything you have said about your Fulvia in the 911. I look forward very much to understanding how it will feel in comparison, although I won’t be comparing (if that makes sense)

Ian
IanC

« Reply #13 on: 19 November, 2018, 08:39:23 PM »

Thank you all for your responses so far.  The next question relates to the rear bumper.  It was wobbly when I got the car home and when I undid the two mounting bolts I quickly found out why.  I can see you all nodding, knowing what the problem is!  The mild steel mounting bracket on one side, which is welded to the stainless bumper blade, has rusted nearly through.  Does anyone repair these?  Nice without the bumpers though.......

Thank you

Ian
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 19 November, 2018, 09:18:48 PM »

Another point on fuel pumps is that some people fit an electric pump just for priming then switch it off when the engine starts.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd