Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 02:20:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viva Lancia! September 2018 – Silverstone racing - DVD  (Read 5202 times)
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« on: 17 September, 2018, 05:28:59 PM »

The current issue of Viva Lancia, in the Mailbox section has some interesting letters and photos of the LMC team for the 6-hour relay race in 1981. I don’t have anything to add on the 1981 event, but I do have a video of the 6-hour event held on 9 October 1982.

The 1982 video that I have was made by the late Barrie Crowe and was originally in VHS tape form. The original tape must have been played many, many times and deteriorated, because the DVD version I have is of very poor technical quality, but for devotees of period Lancia racing it is still enjoyable.

The LMC team for 1982 included: Peter Gerrish and John Savage driving Fulvias, Tim Burrett and Stuart Gross in B20s, Barry Waterhouse in a Beta Coupe and Dave Scheldt in a Stratos. There is an interesting voice-over commentary by Barrie Crowe and appearances by Chris Hopkins (Team Manager), John Millham (Timekeeper), and Harry Manning is also to be seen. Despite its poor quality, it is very atmospheric of what were heady days for the LMC and Lancia racing in the UK.

I would be happy to make copies of this DVD available – please let me know – price is £5.00 including UK postage.

The DVD also induces Barrie’s film of the Shell 1000 race at Brands Hatch on 17 October 1982. This is also of poor technical quality but it includes film of Ricardo Patrese and the Lancia LC2s. The 6-hour race forms the first part of the DVD and runs for about 40 minutes and the Shell 1000 race about 50 minutes.

Colin
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 17 September, 2018, 07:34:34 PM »

Yes please Colin. Fantastic. Please send me payment details. Sounds good.

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 18 September, 2018, 04:07:05 PM »

Ditto.

David Laver, Lewisham.
rikardo
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2018, 04:38:11 PM »

That would have to be an LC1 (Group 6) at the 1982 Brands Hatch 1000k. The LC2 (Group C) wasnt introduced until 1983. Unless of course you're referring to that year's race, albeit on a very different date; 18th September.

1992 Delta HF integrale
1993 Dedra integrale
and several Alfas
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 22 September, 2018, 05:50:19 PM »

Now watched and much enjoyed.  First time I'd seen film of Harry, before my time and very much a man of another era, he could have been in a film from Silverstone in 1952 rather than 1982.  Come to that Silverstone could have been "Silverstone 1952" as it looks much more the airfield than GP circuit at that time.  I went quite regularly back then but with changes being gradual I'd forgotten how primitive it was.

Who was the president at that time?  A couple of faces I recognised, Chris Hopkins for example.  Interesting to see John Millam as a younger man.  I had to be told it was Barry Crowe doing the commentary and interviews, he confesses that he was somewhat the worse for the red wine at the end as he speaks over his own rambles reviewing the day.  John Savage in collar and tie under his race overalls.  I met and got to know him quite well a decade later so no surprise.  He was in a Fulvia rather than the Aurelia I knew him for, but of course he had and has had since so many Lancias.  Fulvia Sport for Peter Gerrish.  Tim Burret as ever, Jane pops in and out of shot with refreshments.  

"My" car run by Stuart Gross at the time and he was pressing on.  I'd forgotten the non-standard rear lights that were on it when it came to me, I think Simon told me Vauxhall Viva, but I had put back to standard very early on.

Even with the poor reproduction the Stratos sounds superb, and it makes a shockingly sharp start from the garage and "exit right" down the pit lane at one of the change overs, of course standing starts and sharp low speed turns are what it was built for...but quite a surprise to see it "defy physics".

More than anything for me memories of Barry...his car comes in with steam out from somewhere under the bonnet having had some other grief but he returns with extra cooling vents and hoses and pastes his Beta Coupe round faster than ever.
« Last Edit: 22 September, 2018, 09:30:08 PM by DavidLaver » Logged

David Laver, Lewisham.
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 23 September, 2018, 12:59:39 PM »

CD arrived, thanks Colin, looking forward to watching it on Wednesday. Thanks again

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 23 September, 2018, 09:49:55 PM »

That would have to be an LC1 (Group 6) at the 1982 Brands Hatch 1000k. The LC2 (Group C) wasnt introduced until 1983. Unless of course you're referring to that year's race, albeit on a very different date; 18th September.

Rikardo,

I am sure you are correct – LC1 for 1982 and not LC2 – my error. It must have been an amazing race to see with Riccardo Patrese in one of the Lancias fighting it out with the Porsches, including that of Jacky Ickx, the ultimate winner. I wonder if there are any films of that race other than the video by Barrie Crowe?

Colin 
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 27 September, 2018, 09:39:52 AM »

Now viewed. The Silverstone footage is priceless and a lot of well known drivers at Brands.

Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 24 October, 2018, 11:52:58 AM »

On this very theme, when I first joined I'd asked if there were many films, cine 8, videos, DVD or digital downloads of the LMC cars over the decades or have any been archived by the LMC, or on Youtube or in private collections?

Seeing them on the move with their owners in period would be a wonderful thing to have and view.

Indeed, it might well be a mini-project for the LMC (I can put the concept to the committee) if a select number of cars/members would do a piece to camera, telling their cars history, their ownership and events they'd attended over the decades.

P

Frank Gallagher
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd