Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:58:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seen a Flavia 2000 Coupe I might buy but I need some advice  (Read 4837 times)
michaelkaye
Lapsed

« on: 30 August, 2018, 03:47:59 PM »

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can provide some advice. Long story short I've just seen a J Reg (1970) Flavia 2000 Coupe. Mechanically the car seems sound but there are some obvious repairs to the body work and a fair amount of work needed. From 10 feet away it doesn't look too bad but up close you can see the repairs and a fair amount of bubbling.

Problems areas:

1. The boot lid looks bad. Not sure it would be worth repairing against buying a lid. Question: are there any lids available anywhere to buy?
2. Rear valance doesn't look good. Dripping water. Is this a known area of problems?
3. Sills don't look great. I'm sure if I starting poking them it would would reveal that they need replacing. How much time, effort and cost is involved in repairing the sills. Can replacement sills be bought?
4. The doors don't fit particularly well. The gaps aren't great.
5. Roof, and front and floor look quite solid.

Potentially the car could be driven for a couple of years as is. But if I chose to start tidying it up, is this the best I can hope for for an unrestored and just maintained car? i.e. If I choose to go down the restoration route should I look for a better car or is this the best I can hope for for the money?

The car is priced in the mid teens. Is this the going rate for a car that needs this kind of work? One other salient point. It is a RHD car…

Any advice thoughts would be very welcome.

Thanks, Michael.
« Last Edit: 30 August, 2018, 04:11:11 PM by michaelkaye » Logged
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2018, 04:22:26 PM »

Is RHD essential?   It always used to be said that you could have rust free OR right hand drive but not both.

There's always going to be more work needed than you could see, perhaps three times as much.  If you are paying for labour it is highly unlikely to be "worth doing" against buying something better.

In terms of working out "is it just what I can see" a trap I fell into - with a car of my own that I've had for ages but had been stored a while - was to think that a fresh MOT assured me it was sound.  Turns out a "modern mot" is non-damaging so they can't give it the old fashioned stab with a screwdriver or tap with a hammer.  A month after the MOT a seat needed to come out to fit a handbrake cable (its a 1965 MG Midget) and half the floor came out with it.  The paint inside the car was sound, the under-seal was sound, the metal in between was flaky pastry.  I went back for the old-school MOT-style corrosion inspection and turned up a bit on a rear spring mount (eek!!!) and some on a front leg where the exhaust had baked the under seal (not too critical) also needed doing.  The lesson is that every year an old car needs someone with a lot of experience (an old style MOT tester) to give it a really good going over.

Where does that leave you with this car...  If it looks good enough that you'd be happy to drive it (my own standards are quite low, Mrs L somewhat higher), then get "an old style MOT inspection" to be sure that its strong enough (as well as everything else) to be driven, then give it a really good test drive over the sort of roads you hope to drive in the way you hope to drive it, and then get a friend who hates Lancias to haggle over the price.

David Laver, Lewisham.
michaelkaye
Lapsed

« Reply #2 on: 30 August, 2018, 06:35:03 PM »

Thank you David, sage advice indeed.

I think it is strong enough and will remain so for a while. You are right; I need to drive it and then decide if I can live with its appearance. And if not I guess it’s back to waiting for a better car to come along.

Thanks again. Michael.

Btw I really do want a RHD! Love that saying though 😀

frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2018, 07:11:34 PM »

I'm not experienced in Flavias but wonder if mid teens is a bit strong for what you describe? There is a Flavia & Flaminia group on facebook if you use such things.
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2018, 07:50:36 PM »

Michael,
I think you need to get someone who knows Flavias well along to have a good look at the bodywork of the car you propose buying. They are expensive to restore if rusty but immensely rewarding to drive if in good mechanical condition.
Your comment ref the doors worries me to be honest unless its just wear in the hinge pins.
And you don't mention the mechanical condition of the engine, gearbox, brakes etc.
Maybe not want you want to hear but you did ask!!
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #5 on: 31 August, 2018, 08:32:28 AM »

Mid teens sounds expensive to me, for what you've described, but I might be a bit behind on where current values are. But looking at the cars advertised in Italy, where there are often a quite optimistic sellers, it looks as though you should get a nice one for that kind of money.

e.g.
https://www.subito.it/auto/lancia-flavia-coupe-2000-piacenza-263037857.htm
https://www.subito.it/auto/lancia-flavia-2000-coupe-pistoia-260766457.htm
https://www.subito.it/auto/lancia-flavia-coupe-2000-avellino-235127956.htm
https://www.subito.it/auto/lancia-altro-modello-anni-70-brescia-232907331.htm

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
Justin McArdle
Megaposter

Fulvia Berlina 2C

« Reply #6 on: 31 August, 2018, 05:08:19 PM »

Michael, I would wait for a better example. If it is a bit tatty on the outside chances are that it is worse on the inside. I too was in your position 6 years ago but eventually found a good example and gave great enjoyed my HF ever since.
Photo is of my 2000hf and another at this year's Great Northern Weekend.
Best of luck with your search.
Justin

Lancia 2000 HF Coupe
Fulvia Berlina 2C
michaelkaye
Lapsed

« Reply #7 on: 31 August, 2018, 06:41:26 PM »

Thanks all for the responses. I’ve taken your advance and will wait for a better example to come along.

Fingers crossed it won’t be too long a wait.
Justin McArdle
Megaposter

Fulvia Berlina 2C

« Reply #8 on: 31 August, 2018, 06:44:18 PM »

Photo now attached?

* IMG_20180512_172721704.jpg (2206.69 KB, 4160x3120 - viewed 381 times.)

Lancia 2000 HF Coupe
Fulvia Berlina 2C
michaelkaye
Lapsed

« Reply #9 on: 31 August, 2018, 06:47:02 PM »

Justin, very nice. I’m obviously very envious!

If you fancy parting with one do let me know 😀

Thanks Michael.
Justin McArdle
Megaposter

Fulvia Berlina 2C

« Reply #10 on: 31 August, 2018, 07:23:29 PM »

Keep looking Michael. One will turn up! If I hear of any I will let you know.

Lancia 2000 HF Coupe
Fulvia Berlina 2C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd