Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 03:27:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A couple of Fulvia questions  (Read 5280 times)
jonamery

« on: 25 July, 2018, 01:18:15 PM »

Hello,

I have a couple of questions with regards to an S1 Fulvia coupe if anyone could help?

1. Where would be the best position for a malpassi filter king if using the standard mechanical pump? I did see it may bolt onto the fan bracket but would the vibration from the engine cause problems? The instructions state it should be fitted to the body.

2. Is it possible to change the oil pump without removing the engine, or engine from subframe? It looks very tight if possible.

3. Is there a method of changing the upper and lower ball joint boots without changing the ball joints?
Thanks in advance,

All the best,

Jon
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2018, 02:11:35 PM »

Hi Jon

1. Simon Ingman fitted a small filter king on the inner wing. see photo (credit Simon I)

2. I have removed an oil pump but from memory you need to undo the engine mounts and jack the sump to get clearance. Reengaging can be a challenge as also getting the gasket not to tear...

3. If you have the correct boots you an change once sperated. You may find once separetd you need to change the complete joint as wear is only detectable when joints are not loaded...

Hope that helps

* IMG_0406.jpg (784.7 KB, 600x800 - viewed 1566 times.)

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
jonamery

« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2018, 07:21:47 PM »

Hello,

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

I fitted the pump on the inner wing, just a bit lower down on a bracket. Just preparing to fit som twin dellortos now.

All the best,

Jon
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 25 July, 2018, 11:13:16 PM »

Hi Jon

1. Simon Ingman fitted a small filter king on the inner wing. see photo (credit Simon I)

2. I have removed an oil pump but from memory you need to undo the engine mounts and jack the sump to get clearance. Reengaging can be a challenge as also getting the gasket not to tear...

3. If you have the correct boots you an change once sperated. You may find once separetd you need to change the complete joint as wear is only detectable when joints are not loaded...

Hope tha

My filter king is fitted in the same place as Simon's, been there for over 10 years without a problem.
A friend is Australia has just sent me a photo of one fitted under the reservoir bolts of the Master Cylinder on a made up bracket, with an additional support, can't say I'm very keen on that myself, but no doubt there was a reason for doing so,I shall ask!
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 26 July, 2018, 08:06:58 AM »

Brian

Is your Filter King in line before or after the mechanical pump?

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 26 July, 2018, 10:13:02 AM »

If the fuel filter is also a pressure regulator which many of them are then it should be downstream of the pump. OE FISPA pumps have a fine filter in their inlet which should pick up any solid particles. I find its easier to clean this filter by removing the pump because of the springs holding the one way valves in position. Also with the pump on the bench, its easy to check the condition of thses one way valves as failure of one of these is the usual case of fuel pump problems in my experience.
If the fuel filter is just a filter then I would say it should be fitted upstream of the pump to filter the fuel before the pump.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 16 August, 2018, 11:37:36 PM »

Brian

Is your Filter King in line before or after the mechanical pump?
Neil,
It's before the pump, I originally fitted it as I was getting so much rubbish coming through from the tank that an inline filter couldn't cope, besides which I had one with  glass body that persisted in unscrewing itself and leaking.
Never regretted the purchase of the filter king glass bowl version.
Brian
8227   Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 18 August, 2018, 09:12:55 AM »

I have to admit that my Aprilia had a Filter King after the electric pump in the boot and then two inline plastic ones under the bonnet!     Stopped the carbs getting clogged though.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 18 August, 2018, 09:39:13 AM »

If the rubber boots on the ball joints (or the steering arm joints) need replacing then you should replace the joints as well in my opinion.
As Tim says, wear in these joints is much more easily detected when they are off the car and therefore not under load.
 I can well remember horror stories in the 70's with worn joints popping apart going over hump backed bridges at speed for example.
Just not worth the risk for max £40 per joint.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd