Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 02:46:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: speedo drive  (Read 10211 times)
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #15 on: 12 September, 2008, 01:58:27 PM »

Hi Colin,

According to contemporary road tests run by Quattroruote magazine on different Fulvias, the speedo is usually overestimating the real speed by 7 % in practice regardless of the absolute speed value or the type of instrument (Jaeger or Veglia). Several Fulvia owners have (even recently) confirmed with accurate timing that this is still the case despite the passing of many years.

Curiously (and unrelated to this thread and section) the speedometer of the Appia was thought by contemporary reviews to be exceptionally accurate and I can say that at least for my car it is still the case now.
Best regards
Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
ian
« Reply #16 on: 12 September, 2008, 04:32:44 PM »

When the holiday traffic quietens down, I will have a test with a borrowed sat nav Wink
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 12 September, 2008, 06:52:06 PM »

Thanks Andrea,

I had guessed this might be the case, but I didn’t want to hear it! I would have preferred my speedo to be accurate. I suppose I will just have to drive 7% faster to compensate!

Best wishes,

Colin
YKR 567J
« Reply #18 on: 12 September, 2008, 10:50:54 PM »

And then there's the weakening of the spring as they get older, causing them to over-read even more. I'm afraid I don't have my LHD HF any more (how do I go about changing my forum name, by the way?) but its kilometric speedo was wildly optimistic. From memory, a true 70mph/113km/h corresponded to an indicated 130km/h/81mph.

I thought my car unexpectedly rapid when I bought it - after all, it made enough noise for the indicated speed to be convincing - but plugging in a Road Angel told me the truth. The error increased proportionally as speed rose, the one I've just mentioned being about 15 per cent but at 31mph or 50km/h it read 55, so 'only' 10 per cent out. The odometer was about 10 per cent adrift too, strangely, even though the car was on the right 175/80 R14 tyre size. All those HFs on lower-profile, smaller-diameter tyres you see must have speedos which portray pure fiction. I wondered about trying to find some sort of speedo drive gear which would make the odometer accurate and thus bring the speedo somewhere near reality, but never pursued it.

John
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #19 on: 13 September, 2008, 12:37:39 AM »

Hi John,
Sorry to hear you no longer have the HF. Cry

To change your any of your details click on 'Profile' at the top and you should be able to modify from there.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd