Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 03:57:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Augusta special  (Read 71125 times)
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« on: 17 January, 2008, 05:34:16 PM »

The Augusta's seats - will have to work out how to post pictures - have an exposed tube along the top of the back rest perhaps as a grab handle for rear seat passengers.  The backs are plain, seats fluted, with little adjustment levers next to the tunnel to slide back and forth.   They're a lovely design but the (red) leather and stuffing is all shot.  The "bedsprings" might be ok still.  Looks like they tilt against a spring action, but it could be a spring loaded catch. 

In our MG Midget I use plywood side plates between sill and seat and seat and tunnel for additional support cornering.  They're padded and covered in black vinal to match the seats.  I expect I'll end up with similar for this car.  Have you seen Aurelias with padding on the doors?  I came across a picture of one recently - if only I could remember...

Aprilia engine into an Augusta seems to be a popular idea.  The tight spot is between the inlet manifold and steering box.  The other concern is how the gearlever, handbrake, and dash interact.  If it came to it I could make a remote for the gear change but it would be a shame to give up that direct connection.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 17 January, 2008, 05:46:13 PM »

On nights with a full moon I flick through the Alfa books pondering superchargers and finned manifolds...  The state of the thing getting it to roll is the first challange!!   We can leave that thought until I know how it goes on standard Aprilia power...

My other longer term thought is 18in wheels and Michelin DRs  (I really MUST hide all those Alfa books).   Is the SCSS a good tyre?  One thing in its favour is that its available again.  VTS sold 45 last year and their current stock is less than a month old so can be sure of fresh supplies.  I want to be VSCC legal so Michelin Xs are not an option.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
donw
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 17 January, 2008, 09:19:39 PM »

David

Assuming its a chassis model the seats were hinged to gain access to the rear, the top rail was chromed.

Don

Don Williamson
Member 111 joined 26th July 1963
1917 Theta 2str
1926 Lambda torpedo
1930 Artena berlina
1933 Belna coupe
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 17 January, 2008, 10:50:12 PM »

It is a chassis model - the chrome is loooong gone.  Having had a look this evening in a better light there seems to be no latch as such, just pull forwards against a spring.  The cover is leather, the base wood, and the back some strange sort of plastic laminate.  Bed spring base, horse hair, some fluffy stuff...

Anyone got a picture of a chassis model back seat?

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2008, 12:32:31 PM »

Got the front wheels off - hubs and splines all look nice - steering swivels left and right easily and the bottom section of the pillar "scrubs up nice". 

All very encouraging...

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Harvey
« Reply #5 on: 25 January, 2008, 04:45:06 PM »

For info, when you reply to a post, there's a link below the text box that says "Additional options". Click to discover the magical attachment options. You're allowed pics up to 256KB, and at the time of writing this, there's even room in the upload folder to accept them...
Of course, I might be seeing things slightly differently with extra admin options. Let me know if I'm talking rubbish.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 25 January, 2008, 06:30:25 PM »

Photos of the seats.  What's that on the lever?  Is it a trade mark or Italian for "little and large"?

David

* Seats.jpg (41.37 KB, 600x450 - viewed 569 times.)

* SeatAdjuster.jpg (16.61 KB, 400x533 - viewed 593 times.)

* SeatBackSpring.jpg (33.41 KB, 400x533 - viewed 599 times.)

David Laver, Lewisham.
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #7 on: 26 January, 2008, 10:35:06 AM »

more likely the italian for "Morecambe and Wise"....they were always more popular...

DianaW
Officer

« Reply #8 on: 26 January, 2008, 12:10:33 PM »

I think that it means patented lever - according to our Italian dictionary brevett-o means patent.

Diana
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #9 on: 26 January, 2008, 01:35:22 PM »

DW is right of course, just cannot help the frivolity sometimes.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 31 January, 2008, 09:40:45 AM »

Have looked at the seats again and am now wondering if the leather from the backs is enough to repair the fronts... 

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
donw
Megaposter

« Reply #11 on: 31 January, 2008, 12:39:45 PM »

David

I think I may have some red leather somewhere amongst my bits I'll have a look, if I have you are welcome to it.

Don

Don Williamson
Member 111 joined 26th July 1963
1917 Theta 2str
1926 Lambda torpedo
1930 Artena berlina
1933 Belna coupe
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 31 January, 2008, 08:02:51 PM »

Thankyou yes!!

A friend who runs a museum told me any leather can be revived, and that I shouldn't worry about colour matching patches as can recolour when its done.  I'm not alowed to wimp out by claiming to need a heavy duty sewing machine as can always stich by hand and doing a repair matching the holes already in the old leather it really has to be by hand.

Conservation has an appeal over replication.  Nothing ventured nothing gained?

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 31 January, 2008, 08:06:13 PM »

His tip to soften the leather:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neatsfoot_oil

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 01 February, 2008, 04:21:05 PM »

Other recomendations:-