Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 09:06:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Augusta special  (Read 71144 times)
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #105 on: 06 October, 2009, 11:33:55 PM »

Its not a "critical path" sort of job but the easiest way to tidy the garage was to bolt the wings on.  Also found some bolts for the rad shell and grill.  Interesting checking fits etc.  The worst is the drivers side light which might be adjustable or might be because I've got two "left" pilliars so that one is back to front.  Its given me a a set of photos to trace over.

David

* FirstTry2.jpg (51.44 KB, 600x450 - viewed 621 times.)

* FirstTry3.jpg (55.32 KB, 600x450 - viewed 598 times.)

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #106 on: 06 October, 2009, 11:37:02 PM »

One colour combo I've been pondering is to leave the wings as is, leave the bonnet in alloy, then dark blue for the body perhaps fabric.

Red tempts but it will depend on how the proportions come out.

Could do the whole car to match those wings.

Dark blue is an obvious choice, and could cheer it up with a red interior.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #107 on: 07 October, 2009, 11:25:56 AM »

These photos were March 2008.  Paint stripped off the bonnet and the wings sold to pay for Chugga's cast offs.  It would have been a LOT of work to make either the "too big" or "too small" front wings fit, and the Riley wings look like - well - Riley wings...  Would have restricted the excellent Augusta steering lock as well.

The one feature I did like on that set was the shape to the trailing edge of the rear wings - but those rear wings were SO slab sided relative to the Touring and Zagato Alfas I can never take my eyes off.

Plan at the rear is to buy some truck muguards.  They might only be for mocking up, maybe I'll be able to cut and shut into something I'm happy with to "get me started".   

http://www.featherwing.com/

Bought this DVD (link below) - inspiring stuff - but brings home what a lot of work is involved.  As with the interior the inclination is to put in a stop gap then come back later and "make a project" of getting it just how I want it later on.  I want to be driving!!

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=9604&frostProductName=Scratch-Building%20a%20Fender%20DVD%20(119%20min)%20&catID=30&frostCat=Books%20and%20DVDs&frostSubCat=&subCatID=

David

* TooBigTooSmall.jpg (37.59 KB, 600x450 - viewed 603 times.)

* RileySide.jpg (61.85 KB, 600x450 - viewed 593 times.)

* RileyRear.jpg (40.61 KB, 600x450 - viewed 612 times.)

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #108 on: 07 October, 2009, 11:32:39 AM »

...and the sketch from Jan 2008...  

I see the next steps as mocking up seats, including a proper usable adult sized back seat, take some more photos to trace over (including the different front wings from Jan 08), then "styling" round that space requirement.  

Another requirement is zero additional rear overhang to give a good exit angle for trials. 

Am happy to strap luggage on the back or running boards for occasions when the back seat isn't the luggage compartment, and also for the hood to be "a tent" that comes apart and is stowed rather than flipped up and down.

David

* Red.jpg (31.55 KB, 600x407 - viewed 597 times.)

* Template3s.jpg (60.76 KB, 1200x872 - viewed 594 times.)
« Last Edit: 07 October, 2009, 11:38:44 AM by DavidLaver » Logged

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #109 on: 07 October, 2009, 11:41:37 AM »

Looking at the March 2008 "before" pictures can also see the front seat bases, bits of boot floor, and various bits of running board support. 

Its slow going, but it is progress.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #110 on: 02 December, 2009, 02:04:42 PM »

David,

Under a different heading you asked:

“Looking ahead (getting my motivation up for the project) can anyone reassure me that a hot Aprilia engine will snarl?   With  light body on it it should have some pace, the gear change and steering and brakes should be fabulous, the balance shouldn't be too bad and on thin enough tyres it should be possible to squirt it about but how will it sound...?   Hot Fulvias and Appias sound lovely - is there a fundamental difference?”

Assuming you going to use a straight-through exhaust with minimum by way of baffles, I wouldn’t expect it to snarl, growl or go broommmm much like a Fulvia. My memory is that mine with a straight-through system had a staccato bark, which was frequently enjoyed best by winding the windows down when gunning it out of the Euston underpass or the kink in the Hyde Park Corner tunnel. All long before speed-cameras of course.

Colin
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #111 on: 02 December, 2009, 02:11:28 PM »

I've fond memories of that Hyde Park corner tunnel - and the road that wriggled north/south accross Hyde Park - and of never being asked to be the designated driver again  Grin   

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Peter W

« Reply #112 on: 03 December, 2009, 12:13:38 PM »

Back in the 60s my Aprilia was equipped with a Servais exhaust system which I finished off with a length of chrome plated copper pipe to formed a rather smart tail pipe.  The whole ensemble created a most satisfying growl.

Peter

Kappa Coupe
Beta VX Coupe
S2 Fulvia 1600HF
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #113 on: 07 March, 2010, 11:57:57 AM »

So here's what it USED to be like...

http://www.hi-think.it/luzzago/hipgscheda.php?HIGNIdAuto=9974

David Laver, Lewisham.
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #114 on: 07 March, 2010, 12:02:29 PM »

When I saw that picture a few days ago I thought of you. To my mind, there's nothing wrong with the early wings on the later car.
 Regards, John
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #115 on: 07 March, 2010, 09:14:32 PM »

...its only you saying that that's made me notice!! 

I really hadn't clocked its early wings on a late car...

The other pictures that jumped out this week are these:

http://www.supercars.net/cars/3501.html

(as seen on that German site that thinks the Queen had an Aurelia)

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #116 on: 10 January, 2011, 11:05:29 AM »

No progress at all since October 2009...  At least its still there.  Meanwhile having rembered the story of how it came to be on the "first Lancia's thread" here it is. 

As to dates the engine and box came my way 16 years ago, the chassis swap was at this address so "only" in the last ten years.  CERN's threads working on cars he's had since the early 70's, and John Turner finially getting his Lambda saloon togeather give me hope that EVENTUALLY this will get done. 

====

Memories trickle back - there was the Aprilia engine and box to go into the Austin special I'd built. 

With all that torque a late type axle with longer tapers seemed sensible. 

Then I thought proper brakes would be handy so I aquired an Augusta front axle and steering box. 

I then realised with just a chassis, rear springs, and a the new prop I'd need anyway and it could be "as well as" rather than an upgrade so I got those bits as well and started bolting it togeather.  An Augusta bonnet and rad shell found their way to me, and a steering wheel, and another couple of Aprilia boxes and another engine or two...  It occured to be this could hold the road and cruise well and make quite a decent little road car.

Meanwhile I'd talked a friend into the Augusta chassis at Ron's that I'd rather taken a fancy to when hunting for an Aurelia.  He wanted to chop the wheelbase, thought it a bit heavy to be competitive, wasn't happy with such a tall scuttle.  He needed a rad shell, bonnet, steering box and wheel.  I'd keep telling him of its virtues and chivvy him along. 

One day on the phone talking through how to stiffen the Austin chassis and get some luggage capacity (he chivvying ME along) it occured to us that as each saw more virtue in the others project the answer was to swap.  I dug out a spare front axle for a "pure and simple" Austin chassis for him and of course the Augusta bits I had finished that jigsaw so the trade was done.  I got the longer wheelbase for seats and/or luggage, space for a long range tank, wider cockpit, proper seats, and something a bit more imposing for road use.  He got an ultra-light and compact chassis that would "build itself".

Of course both projects aren't yet finished, but at least neither now dare nag the other about progress.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #117 on: 24 January, 2012, 11:22:40 AM »

Someone asked "how's progress" - well its still there, and still nothing more since that day in October 2009 when I screwed the wings and lights on.

Ah - a little progress - some parts have made it from Southport to Will How - so I have an excuse and motivation to make it to the Surrey Monthly - depending on half term plans maybe (whisper it) the next one...

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #118 on: 09 November, 2013, 08:15:49 PM »

Some progress!!

James said "who has a spare axle" and I did, and I wanted to see his project rolling, but the question was "do I need the spare...?"

The way to answer that is to remove the axle from the car, dig out the spare, take them both to James and he'll tell me.  Fingers crossed I get back a good-un and he (and we!!) get to see his next project come together.

David

* 001.JPG (42.83 KB, 533x400 - viewed 485 times.)

* 002.JPG (58.8 KB, 533x400 - viewed 484 times.)

* 003.JPG (57.75 KB, 533x400 - viewed 485 times.)

* 004.JPG (30.81 KB, 300x400 - viewed 501 times.)

* 005.JPG (58.43 KB, 533x400 - viewed 494 times.)

* 006.JPG (59.5 KB, 533x400 - viewed 487 times.)

* 007.JPG (62.25 KB, 533x400 - viewed 490 times.)

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #119 on: 09 November, 2013, 08:26:27 PM »

Not great timing for me - but "kill two birds with one stone" James collecting his project was the same weekend Simon was flying into the country and with some Flavia consortium courier work to do from the Derby area perhaps it was worth forgetting the pumpkin carving and burning a little midnight oil.

Six bolts - five sheared, one rounded.  Ten mins into the job I was like a pig in poo with it.  Not too much trouble getting it free - it responded to the largest rubber hammer, some jumping up and down, and a tyre lever to finish.

Axle with drums and hubs but without shoes and cylinders is 44kg. 

Axle with just the stubs is 27kg. 

Wheel and tyres (ex Aurelia) 14kg.

David

* 008.JPG (51.24 KB, 533x400 - viewed 487 times.)

* 009.JPG (50.07 KB, 533x400 - viewed 487 times.)

* 010.JPG (74.03 KB, 533x400 - viewed 482 times.)

* 011.JPG (72.43 KB, 533x400 - viewed 462 times.)

David Laver, Lewisham.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd