Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:30:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LED headlights  (Read 4794 times)
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« on: 06 March, 2018, 03:53:13 PM »

I converted to LED sidelights some time ago in an effort to allow a few more amps to the headlights.  I currently use 40/45 Watt QI which give a fair light but not really enough to counteract the oncoming Mercedes.    LED BA20D bulbs are available but expensive.  Has anyone any experience of these?    Using them would at least allow the use of auxiliary LED lights.
The sidelights are pretty good.   Coming back from Fobello through Belgium at night, Sheila was running our of battery but I followed Freyja in Boot, me using the sidelights and with little difficulty!
The Aprilia is 6v 35/35 Watt.  I do not use it at night.   Again bulbs are available, for motorcycles, but I cannot seem to find dipping ones.  These plus a couple of spotlights might help.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 06 March, 2018, 05:57:25 PM »

There are loads of BA20 D LED bulbs for sale on eBay,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC2.A0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=LED+BA20D&_sacat=0
OK most come from China, but they do work. Best to go for ones with more than 1 LED chip.
I have some in the Aurelia, they give a good light, if somewhat narrow on the beam width, so it might be worth ordering a few different types to see which suit the Lambda headlamp reflectors the best.

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 07 March, 2018, 01:47:27 PM »

I bought a pair for my Lambda some time ago and was not at all impressed with them. To give them a fair chance, I had the reflectors re-silvered (although they seemed OK) but haven't driven the car at night since. They are the type which have one led pointing up and one pointing down. See photo.
Regards, John

* BoschLEDs.jpg (776.09 KB, 1747x1573 - viewed 476 times.)
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 07 March, 2018, 03:32:08 PM »

I assume that is why after market led bulbs are not road legal and are for off road use only at the moment until decent focused units are available to replace regular filament bulbs.

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2018, 12:42:02 PM »

After some research I have now tested some led headlights at night.    I have found these to be excellent with a really bright and well focussed light.     https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-LED-Headlight-Bulb-DC-6V-80V-12W-Hi-Lo-Beam-COB-BA20D-H6-Light-Lamp/122614364554?hash=item1c8c62b98a:g:uZIAAOSwiGRZdVBu

They look like this and cost £1.89 apiece!

* s-l1600.jpg (62.9 KB, 800x800 - viewed 627 times.)

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 20 August, 2018, 09:12:52 PM »

Since my last comment, I have tried them and they are useless as far as I'm concerned. I have reverted to Quartz - Halogen, which give a far more satisfactory light - where you want it!
I had the reflectors re-silvered as well, but the LEDs are simply in the wrong place for the Lambda reflectors. I will try them in the Augusta when I get it going again, but I doubt that they will be any good.
Regards, John
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 21 August, 2018, 05:15:22 PM »

I think it depends very much on which ones you get.     I have tried others and they are much less good than QH but these are better in my view.  Why not give them a try it will hardly break the bank!

JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 22 August, 2018, 08:32:44 AM »

I think it depends very much on which ones you get.     I have tried others and they are much less good than QH but these are better in my view.  Why not give them a try it will hardly break the bank!
I have ordered a pair. They are remarkably cheaper than the ones I bought - and they would seem to be much better.
Regards, John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd