Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 02:58:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tyre recommendations  (Read 14172 times)
andyps
Megaposter

« on: 22 January, 2018, 11:43:21 AM »

My Fulvia Sport hasn't been on the road for well over 20 years but I'm hoping to rectify that this year. One replacement that is definitely needed is tyres as despite the ones currently on the car having loads of tread and holding air I don't want to use them on the road for obvious reasons of the age they must be. On that basis I wonder what tyres and size people recommend - it currently has the standard steel wheels which I'm happy with although if I find a set of alloys I would consider changing them. I've looked at Longstone Tyres and they seem to suggest the Pirelli Cinturato in 165HR14 but I'm open to suggestions from anyone.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2018, 12:08:17 PM »

Cinturato's were original fit, not cheap but way to go in my opinion.
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 22 January, 2018, 01:23:33 PM »

I would recommend Barum Brilliantis 2 165 80 14 are available for not much money. I have them on my Sport 1600 and they cope magnificently. Other Fulvia owners use them too with no bad comments. Also pattern is quite in keeping...

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=87339737.110.41455&Cookie=sea_rd_uk_Google_Search&Breite=165&Quer=80&Felge=14&Speed=&Load=&kategorie=6&Marke=Barum&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&Herst=Barum&m_s=3&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&filter_preis_bis=&filter_preis_von=&homologation=&search_tool=standard&Label=E-C-70-2&details=Ordern&typ=R-332524

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2018, 04:19:38 PM »

Thanks for the replies - quite a contrast in the prices between those options! Might be worth getting some of the Barums just to get the car back on the road and then consider others later.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2018, 04:50:34 PM »

Longstone do a deal on a set - and pictures of tread patterns.  Michelin XAS is the other option.  Vredestein also listed, but almost as expensive as the Michelins and Pirellis.  Barum twice the price as in the link above, pays to shop around...

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/165x14.html
« Last Edit: 22 January, 2018, 04:52:24 PM by DavidLaver » Logged

David Laver, Lewisham.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2018, 05:02:38 PM »

Barum do a Brilliantis  and a Brilliantis 2 - they are different tyres. The longstone pic seems to be the former.

Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2018, 05:29:40 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Ikivcujxs

He seems to do the same lecture with different car names.

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 24 January, 2018, 03:17:08 PM »

http://www.blockleytyre.com/page2.htm

Certainly good value...and a very well respected company.

In the Flavia section Peter Baker mentioned there might be a discount at the moment.

http://www.lancia.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10107.0
« Last Edit: 24 January, 2018, 03:20:14 PM by DavidLaver » Logged

David Laver, Lewisham.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 24 January, 2018, 04:00:49 PM »

Who knows whether they grip in the wet and are not too noisy?

Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 24 January, 2018, 08:33:44 PM »

The Blockley *looks* correct, but without some test results I would be concerned about the performance - tyres are pretty important to get right in my opinion.

The Michelin XAS is a little cheaper with Vintage Tyres

I'm still no nearer making a decision!
rogerelias
Rebel Poster

MY 1600HF IN HEARTBEAT GARAGE

« Reply #10 on: 24 January, 2018, 10:41:47 PM »

I have firestones on my 1600HF and they seem fine, standard size

FULVIA 1600HF LUSSO
1958 VELOCETTE MAC
Triumph Bonneville t120v 1972
1968 MGC ROADSTER
1958 Series 2 Appia berlina
kevbo
Lapsed

« Reply #11 on: 26 January, 2018, 04:30:32 PM »

I have a set of Brillantis on my Sport, no complaints other than a more priod look would be nice.  The decision was driven by price due to other areas of spend & just to get the car back on the road safely.  if those Blockleys had been around I'd have given them serious consideration for the price & period look.

Maybe try MWS for a view on the Blockleys?
Deuce2+2coupe

« Reply #12 on: 27 January, 2018, 04:38:48 AM »

In summer 2016 my 1.3 s1 coupe was reshod with T rated Falken Sincera SN 832 Ecoruns, 165 /80 /14 on refurbished original steel wheels.
After some dithering choice was largely on quite good price (£59 all-in fitted per wheel at local fitters), but also v encouraging set of EU ratings  for rain (A), fuel eff. (C) etc.  Can anyone say whether these quoted figures are a) fairly measured /calculated as between the different makes  b) meaningful for road driving by Fulvia in the real world? I have little clue about this. The online sellers seem to give tables with these ratings for all the  'mainstream' modern tread tyres, but not for the compatible classic tread ones (Pirelli, Michellin, Vredestein).
I since have done c. 3000 miles, so far the tyres themselves seem fine to me in wet and dry.

But I must admit to a nagging problem I have still not got round to fixing: gradual but considerable pressure loss , esp. from one wheel, when at a sustained speed of c65 mph + . This has not happened at all with any driving on twisty roads, but makes my rare journeys on m/ways or dual c/ways tedious, or bothersome (if tempted to drive faster).  I suspect this is being caused by some issue with the valve allowing air to escape, so may get the tyre people to replace the valves.  Perhaps though this is connected with using the steel wheels without inner tubes (which were always fitted before). The wheels have been taken back to metal and nicely repainted but the valve holes being s1 are slightly dished - should they be used for tubeless tyres, run tubeless?? I'd prefer not to revert to tubes - seems a step back, and Michelins seem to be the only radial designed to go with tubes. Any suggestions on this appreciated.

roddy

« Reply #13 on: 27 January, 2018, 11:06:11 PM »

I would definitely endorse the recommendation of Falken Sincera 832 Ecorun tyres in that size - have them on 5.5" Cromodoras with bolt-in valves.  Good grip, feel, comfort and quiet.  The EU ratings may not be easily understood but comparison is.  So do not consider the Sincera 807 tyres - I found grip to be extremely poor and dangerous in the wet and discarded them quickly.  The modern rubber mix of the eco tyre is interesting too - my Sport 1600 is fitted with Vredestein Sprint Classic H rating and it takes a good shove to get the car rolling on the garage floor.  In comparison, the S1 on the 832 tyres sets off with a minimal push and almost needs to be stopped before a wall or door!!

I cannot answer the second part of the question, but it may be worth remembering that the hole in the steel wheel for the tube valve has two little square sections to allow air, outside the inner tube, to escape when it is being inflated on the rim.  These same square sections allow moisture to get in, so hence so many steel wheels rot out in the inside of the wellbase area of the wheel.  Perhaps the wheels have gone porous in this area?  Powdercoating can be a good method of sealing porosity.

Regards - Roddy

Roddy Young
Dunfermline, Fife

1970 Fulvia Sport S1 1.3S
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 29 January, 2018, 06:07:07 PM »

In summer 2016 my 1.3 s1 coupe was reshod with T rated Falken Sincera SN 832 Ecoruns, 165 /80 /14 on refurbished original steel wheels.
After some dithering choice was largely on quite good price (£59 all-in fitted per wheel at local fitters), but also v encouraging set of EU ratings  for rain (A), fuel eff. (C) etc.  Can anyone say whether these quoted figures are a) fairly measured /calculated as between the different makes  b) meaningful for road driving by Fulvia in the real world? I have little clue about this. The online sellers seem to give tables with these ratings for all the  'mainstream' modern tread tyres, but not for the compatible classic tread ones (Pirelli, Michellin, Vredestein).
I since have done c. 3000 miles, so far the tyres themselves seem fine to me in wet and dry.

But I must admit to a nagging problem I have still not got round to fixing: gradual but considerable pressure loss , esp. from one wheel, when at a sustained speed of c65 mph + . This has not happened at all with any driving on twisty roads, but makes my rare journeys on m/ways or dual c/ways tedious, or bothersome (if tempted to drive faster).  I suspect this is being caused by some issue with the valve allowing air to escape, so may get the tyre people to replace the valves.  Perhaps though this is connected with using the steel wheels without inner tubes (which were always fitted before). The wheels have been taken back to metal and nicely repainted but the valve holes being s1 are slightly dished - should they be used for tubeless tyres, run tubeless?? I'd prefer not to revert to tubes - seems a step back, and Michelins seem to be the only radial designed to go with tubes. Any suggestions on this appreciated.

A long shot but is it possible at higher speeds centrifugal force plays a part and creates a microscopic gap between the tyre and rim if it is meant to have atube?

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd