Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
04 June, 2024, 12:02:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel System Revamp  (Read 713 times)
Barry.Cook

« on: 03 February, 2024, 11:47:45 AM »

Last year I finished up taking my Fulvia HF off the road early as I found the fuel pipes at the rear of the car had been turned to a black mush by the ethanol in the E5 fuel. It felt like a close escape as the previous owner had fitted a Facet electric pump above the heat shield above the rear silencer. As the weather is now finally drying out a bit I'm keen to get it back on the road. This is what I plan to do:

1. Re-site the electric fuel pump in the boot.
2. Replace the cheap chinese fuel pressure regulator with a Filter King fitted to the left hand side of the engine bay.
3. Replace all the fuel hoses with ethanol resistant pipe from a trusted source.

Couple of questions before I do that.
1. From previous posts I know some of you have fitted electric pumps in the boot. Did you bolt them directly to the boot floor or did you mount them on rubber mounts and have you boxed them off to protect them from other stuff in the boot?  As ever if you have photos that would be great.
2. The Filter King is available with a 67mm or an 85mm filter bowl. I suspect the 67mm is adequate but what have you guys used?
3. Did you opt for the option with the pressure guage for initial setting up? With the delivery pressure range it looks to me although it needs to be set near the bottom end of the pressure range anyway.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Regards,
             Phillip

Cars Owned
1972 Fulvia 1600 HF Lusso
1966 Triumph TR4a
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2024, 01:26:06 PM »

I can say Facet work well in engine compartment and will make the integral filter more accessible. If possible use Cavis Benz green "plastic" 7mm pipe for all plumbing (return use 4mm). Use a disposible inline filter from tank feed to facet (hence another reason for front mounting). Use the larger filter king and make sure it is glass not plastic bowl. I use a temporary inling 0-10 psir gauge between the filter king and carbs set to 3 psi and then remove. Various sources for cavis benz (omicron , ricambio).

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Barry.Cook

« Reply #2 on: 03 February, 2024, 08:09:28 PM »

Thank you Tim. That's very useful advice.
Phillip

Cars Owned
1966 Triumph TR4a
OldSparky

« Reply #3 on: 21 February, 2024, 11:30:32 PM »

Mines a series 1 so may not be relevant and you have probably made decision anyway but for what its worth fitted Facet Red Top with correct low pressure spring from Omicron  in boot bolted to wheel arch with rubber mounts.  Very little noise in cabin or boot - but had cube type facet before which was awfully noisy.  No regulator - maybe another thing I need.   Oh Dear
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 22 February, 2024, 01:18:10 PM »

On my series 1 2c with no fuel return line.
I have a priming pump fitted next to the tank. A switch with a warning light, once the light stops flickering the carbs are primed.
 Last year, I fitted a new mechanical fuel pump from Omicron and  new cavis benz green fuel pipe, supplied by Ricambio .
I've had the 67mm glass bowl filter king fitted for about 20 years and has always run with the pressure it was set at when supplied, including climbing over the alps a number of times.
All feeding my twin 32Dhlb Dellortos.
The only problem I've ever had was last year, when the fuel pipe stubs in the old fuel pumpē pulled out, thanks to the ravages of ethanol fuel.
Brian
8229 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Barry.Cook

« Reply #5 on: 10 March, 2024, 10:24:35 AM »

Thank you to everyone who posted comments. It's all back together now. New piping throughout and the Filter King all fitted. Omicron very kindly set the Filter King to 3 psi. Fired her up this morning and she immediately fired into life. She's never done that before and she sounded very sweet. Will get her out for a longer run this week subject to getting some decent weather.

By way of bringing the thread to a conclusion below is a photo of one of the fuel lines that I removed. I would encourage anyone who is not sure of the condition of their fuel hoses to check them before venturing out this spring.

* 20240310_094737.jpg (1709.96 KB, 2835x1341 - viewed 24 times.)

Cars Owned
1966 Triumph TR4a
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd