Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
17 May, 2024, 06:35:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KENNEDYS WIN MODENA CENTO ORE CLASSIC 2014  (Read 12216 times)
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« on: 09 June, 2014, 11:28:17 PM »

http://www.retro-speed.co.uk/shownews.asp?art=12096

What takes the edge off this fantastic news is that road racing claimed another victim, driver Antonio Bertini.  Its a complex topic I'm in no mood to expand on, but its covered with honesty in a recent documentary about the TT.  I've leant my copy to an ex-bobsled competitor.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TT-Closer-Edge-disc-DVD/dp/B005CHE5CK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1402356210&sr=8-3&keywords=tt+racer

On the event:

https://www.facebook.com/ModenaCentoOreClassic?ref=stream

http://www.modenacentooreclassic.it/

Direct link to videos:

http://www.modenacentooreclassic.it/en/doc-52-1.aspx

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2014, 11:39:36 PM »

For those who don't know my own road racing experience was at the Manx Classic in that same car.  It must be 16 years ago now.  I consider that it was a great privilege to have been able to do it.  I hope that at some point I'll be able to write something retrospective to go with what I wrote at the time.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
peterbaker
Lapsed
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2014, 07:58:50 AM »

It should be noted that the driver who died, died through not wearing his seat belt during an untimed road section. His navigator, who was belted up suffered no injury. Im attending an MSA historic racing, safety forum next week where the issues surrounding racing will be aired in an open atmosphere. At Cadwell Park on Saturday I witnessed a 1920s Alvis go straight on at the hairpin, hitting the barrier and coming to an immediate stop. The driver's neck was subject to high G forces and he was lucky to walk away. What surprises me is the fact these cars race without ANY safety equipment, not even belts. The driver may chose, after all, its his life, but after a crash its the volunteer marshal who has to pick up the pieces. Complicated subject. The image says it all.

* DSC_0503_2_2.JPG (43.26 KB, 414x290 - viewed 442 times.)

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 10 June, 2014, 08:19:58 AM »

A terrible shame David; given the risks involved, precautions to a certain level, must be taken.

P

Frank Gallagher
JohnMillham
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 10 June, 2014, 08:21:13 AM »

It should be noted that the driver who died, died through not wearing his seat belt during an untimed road section. His navigator, who was belted up suffered no injury. Im attending an MSA historic racing, safety forum next week where the issues surrounding racing will be aired in an open atmosphere. At Cadwell Park on Saturday I witnessed a 1920s Alvis go straight on at the hairpin, hitting the barrier and coming to an immediate stop. The driver's neck was subject to high G forces and he was lucky to walk away. What surprises me is the fact these cars race without ANY safety equipment, not even belts. The driver may chose, after all, its his life, but after a crash its the volunteer marshal who has to pick up the pieces. Complicated subject. The image says it all.
I heard that his shoe got caught in the pedals somehow. It was his first race in a VSCC event and the only "incident" we had at cadwell.
Well done Kennedys!
Regards, John
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 10 June, 2014, 08:48:45 AM »

My Mams name was Kennedy, so I will claim the victory as an 'Irish' one.. well done.

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 10 June, 2014, 09:21:38 AM »

The safety issue is difficult on older cars. In period the drivers never wore belts because they WANTED to be thrown clear. The same cars today have the same issue. Had the Lagonda driver been strapped in tight and with possibly a HANS device he would have suffered very little. In a different scenario of a barrel roll with his upper half protuding and strapped in it doesn't bear thinking about. A roll hoop and straps seems the answer to most situations, the downside being the cars would look so ugly. Well done to the Kennedys - it's just great to see an Aurelia out there winning an event like this.
« Last Edit: 10 June, 2014, 09:23:20 AM by stanley sweet » Logged

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 10 June, 2014, 10:52:42 AM »

Surely, hoops and harnesses can be added and removed before and after if you're a serious racer.......or even a once off?!

P

Frank Gallagher
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 10 June, 2014, 11:00:33 AM »

So 5 minutes of video....a one second shot each of the 250 CAN B20 and same of Kennedys B20, from behind and static.............endless Porsches, Ferraris etc..........

Shame

P

Frank Gallagher
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 10 June, 2014, 01:16:17 PM »

Surely, hoops and harnesses can be added and removed before and after if you're a serious racer.......or even a once off?!

P

Yes - you've reminded me that Simon Taylor (editor of Classic and Sportscar, not sure if he still is...) did exactly that with his HWM. He had it custom made so obviously a lot more money that an off the shelf.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
Derek Moore

« Reply #10 on: 10 June, 2014, 04:54:54 PM »

I see that the Alvis crash driver was a novice. Does the "X"denote lack of experience, or just of that particular class?. I was watching the Monaco Retro races with my son-in-law over the weekend. He races Formula Ford 2000 historic, and tells me you just effectively need a racing licence for this, and off you go. If you've got the dosh, and I assume a minimum of experience, you can create whatever mayhem you like, as seen at Monaco.

Beta 2000 Spider
Beta 2000 Coupe
Beta 2000ie HPE

previous Lancias:
1978 Beta 2000 Sedan (from new)
1974 2000
1982 HPE1600
1982 Gamma Coupe
1978 Spyder 200ie
1975 Fulvia S3
1979 HPE 2000
1989 Thema 8.32
1988 Y10 Fila
1990 Y10GTie (last two f
JohnMillham
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 10 June, 2014, 05:17:02 PM »

Actually, it was a Lagonda, not an Alvis. And the cross does mean he's a novice.
 Regards, John
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 10 June, 2014, 05:40:41 PM »

The black cross in a yellow square is for a novice - something like ten clean races to get rid of that.  

National B licence needs a written exam and a practical on track test - they want to see you can drive with control at a reasonable pace and while doing that have mental capacity to listen to and respond to instructions.

To sprint or hillclimb its "by return of post".  I'm not even sure they ask for a medical.  Anyone up to date?  When I was racing I resisted having a medical at work for fear they would bar me from racing - turns out it was all stress related and nothing to worry about - ish!!   A previous life...

Some meeting require a National A or an International licence.  The Brighton Speed Trials requires an "A" licence - they don't let ANY idiot drag race down their seafront.

Being in the EEC and having UK clubs promote meetings at Spa and the like means its possible to race in another country without an International licence - its more the grade of meeting than the location.  There will be "international" meetings in the UK where there are no novices.  I expect the Monaco Historics would be Internation licences.  Its no ordinary meeting.   There will be pro drivers paid to "give the car a result" mixing with the owner drivers (money might buy the car, can buy experience, but won't buy reflexes or talent).  At that level I think the personalities are rather different to a "club race".  There might also be the "I won't get to do this again, I'm going to really go for it" as a factor coupled with the oddities of Monaco - lots of bumps and cambers and no margin for error.

The Kennedy's don't have to have race seats, cage, or even belts.  They have some non homologated buckets comfortable for the road  and more in keeping.  They have a cage and harnesses by choice and a full fire system.  The car has a modern fuel tank and fire wall.

On the Austin 7 the VSCC ask for a fire extinguisher, a battery master switch, and a sticker to show where the ignition switch is.  They give it a good check over and things like the sump plug has to be lock wired and the fuel filler safe.  Some strap in and some fit a roll hoop but its rare.  A chest protector of the type horse riders use is not unusual.  I used to ask those who looked and questioned the lack of belts as to which bit they wanted to share an accident with.   I used to think of it as "a big go kart" or "no worse than a horse".  The biggest fear is locking wheels and flipping but driving standards are higher than - say - 750MC Stock Hatch which is a bit more "BTCC".  Part of the appeal of historics is that most people are there for the car first and mutual care and respect is at a high level - people give each other space.

When I first went to watch the VSCC was still sports jackets and a cigar on the grid.  In 35 years its now full face helmets and a full race suit and gloves.

Its a spectrum.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 10 June, 2014, 06:17:40 PM »

Not sure whether Jason or Louise will pick up David's last post but could I please correct you David?

All race meetings for vehicles like Aurelias within Europe require that the vehicle has properly secured 'FIA current' race seats and harnesses (and the drivers must have 'FIA current' helmet, racesuit, shoes and gloves). These items are all dated and certified by the FIA and have a life of typically 5-7 years before going 'out of date'. They will not be worn out by this date but the FIA likes collecting money from all racers by various means. If these requirments (and many others) are not met at scrutineering at the race meeting,then you cannot compete

Lots and lots of other requirements (such as steel wheelnuts, nor brass - I nearly failed scrutineering at Brands for this once )  but I mention the above because they are safety related.

If further info required then one needs to see the MSA Regs.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 10 June, 2014, 10:55:33 PM »

Belts having a life is "after my time" and one of the many items that made the "upfront" costs to get back to racing prohibitive. 

I'm confident they get away with non homologated seats - I hope to see them on Sunday and will ask if I need to eat humble pie.

David 

David Laver, Lewisham.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd